986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No longer vandalism-free! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18892)

eslai 11-23-2008 11:38 PM

No longer vandalism-free!

After 51,000 miles I've finally been vandalized, but the damage was minor and easy to fix.

I was parked in an asian shopping center called "Yes Plaza" in Rowland Heights (near LA). Came back to the car after eating to find that someone had dragged a chisel-tip black felt tip pen along the passenger side.

Whatever, I didn't think it was too big of a deal, I was just happy they hadn't used a key! I couldn't get it off with a towel or quick detailer, so I was just going to go home to San Diego and buff it out but the girlfriend had the bright idea of trying something else. We drove over to Staples and bought a bottle of whiteboard cleaner. It's primarily alcohol so I figured it wouldn't cause any problems.

The pen wiped right off. Needless to say I was stoked. Followed it up with a quick detailer wipe down and all is well in the world.

I kind of wanted to go buy a pen, write "HA! YOU THINK THIS BOTHERED ME!?" on the side of my car and go park it back in that same parking lot for the rest of the day, but I guess that'd be kind of gloating, eh? :)

Can't understand why some people do what they do. Oh well.

Frodo 11-24-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

"I kind of wanted to go buy a pen, write "HA! YOU THINK THIS BOTHERED ME!?" on the side of my car and go park it back in that same parking lot for the rest of the day, but I guess that'd be kind of gloating, eh?"

Yep, and not only that. You'd run the risk of coming back and finding "YEAH, WHAT ABOUT THIS?", etched with a key this time.

Good self-restraint on your part.

bmussatti 11-24-2008 06:54 AM

Eslai, sorry this happened to you. Sounds like your girlfriend is a very smart girl! :)

Wingnut2u 11-24-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Eslai, sorry this happened to you. Sounds like your girlfriend is a very smart girl! :)

Yes much smarter than another member's girlfriend, Jrdiesel01, whose has 200+ f'buddy girlfriends ripe with std's. Haters vandalise boxster in LA He wasn't so lucky and someone did a nice tap dance all over the hood and windshield of his car.

Then again I'm thinking karma, getting penned sucks but you were lucky (good karma), Jrdiesel01 (bad karma)

Lil bastard 11-24-2008 01:37 PM

Sorry this happened.

But, in today's and near-future economy, many people are feeling more desparate and less powerful. For some, the World is crashing.

Desparate people are more likely to do things which they otherwise would not. A Cop friend of mine told me just last weekend that they're seeing all sort of petty crimes and vandalisms alarmingly increasing the past couple months.

I'm not excusing it, just trying to explain it. A guy can't find a job, pay his mortgage and CC's, or just can't give his kids a decent Xmas this year and along comes a flashy Porsche parked within easy reach. Maybe the tewmptation to strike back becomes too great.

It may be prudent for all Boxster owners to have a heightened awareness these days and try to park in the safest, well-lighted space they can find. Risk a door dent and park in the herd than park away and make yourself an isolated target.

eslai 11-24-2008 02:12 PM

What's really sad is we were having lunch less than fifty feet away from the car and it was parked like right in the front row. We went back into the restaurant for a little bit and that's when it must have happened, so someone probably saw us get out, eat, laugh and have some fun, y'know? He probably got pissed/jealous and then struck when we went inside.

I feel for people that might be down on their luck, but it still seems very petty.

As for the girlfriend being smart, yeah I'm happy about that as I've witnessed some Bad Ideas before. For instance, my sister was trying to help her husband out with his black beemer during the '90s. It was dirty and caked with bugs so she thought she'd be nice and clean the car for him.

She used a scrubby pad to take off the bugs....

About a month or two later they traded the car in for a mercedes. They went at night and the poor dealer apparently didn't notice, gave them full value on the trade-in. When they talked the next day they said, "Hey, did you know that someone vandalized your car!? It's all scuffed up all over the place. You're lucky you came in last night or we wouldn't have given you as much as we did on the trade in." Husband played dumb, "oh wow! I had no idea!"

Sometimes the dealers lose too.