Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
CDR23 and IPOD integration help!

I've done a search on this forum and didnt really get the answer I was looking for. Here is my question: People that have the cdr23 hi fi radio system, how did you integrate your ipod to the vehicle?

I have heard of itrip and nothing really spectacular about it. What ways do I have? Icelink is not available for my radio sytem yet. IS it even possibly to integrate the ipod to my car with the cdr23 headunit?

Any answers are welcome.

best regards
Frank

phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Lux

I think you're pretty much hosed with the MOST bus. FM modulator is about it. I was really hoping to be able to drop in a Phatbox. I emailed Phatnoise and they basically said they need 3rd party help with the MOST bus and nobody's helping. I would think that statement is true for all the other aftermarket audio companies too. Damn you Porsche.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #3

Can confirm what others have said sadly - to date FM mods the only way. Rumours of Becker trying to find a solution have been doing the rounds for 12 months with no result.

Might be easier to swap the head unit and amp for a conventional one, and avoid the FM mod at the same time
UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
this sucks! so i guess the only other way is to get an aftermarket headunit?
phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #5

I’m getting ready to do the Icelink install for my CDR-220. I’m under the impression this will be fairly easy. Am I correct?!?

One of the reasons that I even bought an Ipod was because I was thinking about installing the CD Changer (which I don’t have) and I realized the Ipod and the Icelnk (about ~$400+$200) is still cheaper than the CD-Changer (~$800)!!!!!!!!! Just something to think about for the people thinking about adding the CD-changer.

Last edited by QporscheQ; 01-11-2005 at 12:04 PM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #6

I was trying to avoid running my Sirius via FM modulation so
I installed Satellite radio by ordering the Becker Aux jack $20 for the CDR 220. The Sirius Satellite receiver connects via a 1/8 stereo miniplug jack to the Becker aux jack.
If it works with the Sirius Unit plugged in on AUX mode why wouldn't it work with the ipod plugged into the headphone jack?

As a matter of fact I recall the rep from Becker saying "oh the jack for MP3?" and I said "no its for sattelite"
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #7

I recently purchased a Transpod for my IPOD. It is a FM modulator with a base that will also charge the IPOD. It has a number of adaptors that make it easy to adapt to different vehicles. It has an unlimited choice of frequencies and is a digital tuner. I was impressed with the quality of this piece of equipment. It works with mini's as well as the larger IPOD's.

I took it on a trip this week and it worked great.

I bought it at Best Buy.
18" Wheels
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #8

I got an ipod for xmas so I bought Icarplay (monster brand) at radioshack for $69 and It was impresive. really close, if not Cd quality very much recommended! try it! I read in some post that Itrip doesn't work well but this one is different. It's the best one in the market right now!
pilyo bxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #9

I've used itrip/ipod on my CDR21 and I have to say the quality was good enough. The quality improves remarkably if you keep the ipod/itrip close to the radio unit (in the shelf underneath the radio if you have it).

If all you have is the standard radio fitting, then I would not hesitate in recommending itrip on the grounds that it's so cheap and easy to use

Having said that, the CDR21 with the sound pack doesn't seem to be a very good sound package.

(see separate post, as I would like some advice on best bang for buck upgrade)

aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote