Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #1

Maxspeed's full exhaust?

This may be a repost, but i havent' seen it before. I was surfing ebay and found out maxspeed has a full exhaust now complete with headers and cats! A whole system for the same price as Fabspeed headers alone is pretty attractive. The header design isn't as clean as fabspeeds and it looks like their are multiple 02 bungs, not just the 4 like on the stock system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-2-7L-3-2L-NHP-Exhaust-System_W0QQitemZ330272676794QQihZ014QQcategoryZ336 30QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Adam; 11-06-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #2

As has been discussed already on this forum, the headers appear horribly designed, and it's a complete mystery to me why they are putting cats in both the header and the midpipe, when only set is required to avoid CELs when running the US DME program.

Also, I don't know if anyone has commented on whether or not the system has resonance issues, but looking at the sheer simplicity of the design, I would guess it likely suffers from them.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #3

Did you notice 02 bungs before and aft of the downstream cats as well? It looks like they are on there in the pics. What's that all about? Yeah, you'd think they would've just done a straight through test pipe downstream instead of adding a second set of cat like the factory. I'm guessing they probably did it to keep it 50 state smog legal.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #4

Talking Bang for the buck

I personally talked to the owner of Maxspeed over the phone who owns a Box S himself with this exhaust intalled. He said that there is little to no resonance at all in the cabin and that with his ECU on the fritz and #3 not firing correctly he was still getting a 25 whp gain. This is the exhaust that I bought. My mechanic works for Penske racing and he said that it looks very well built and thought out, just not that pleasing to the eye.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #5

Much like Fabspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Did you notice 02 bungs before and aft of the downstream cats as well? It looks like they are on there in the pics. What's that all about? Yeah, you'd think they would've just done a straight through test pipe downstream instead of adding a second set of cat like the factory. I'm guessing they probably did it to keep it 50 state smog legal.

This exhaust is a lot like the Fabspeed in the respect that you can get both headers and midpipes with or without CATs. I also asked about the QA/QC on the exhaust and the owner said that he visually inpects every system himself.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Doesn't matter if there is a 2nd set of cats or not. Unless there is a C.A.R.B. stamp somewhere on the exhaust it won't pass as street legal in CA.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #7

i kind of wonder if you would still pass smog with this system in place.

when i took my car to get smogged, I watched the guy. the ONLY visual inspection he did at ALL was top pop the engine cover off and look at it for about 10 seconds. literally. i helped him drop the top, unhook stuff, and pop off that top cover.

if you installed this system - how well could you see it just from the top? aftet it was on for a while, and got nice and dirty..it would just look like stock stuff and the stupid smog guys maynot know the diffeerence.

i'm suspiscious of the claimed whp gain!?!

what kind of gain would you get on a base 2.7 rated at 217hp? maybe not enough to justify the big ticket price tag....
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #8

Thumbs up Good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
what kind of gain would you get on a base 2.7 rated at 217hp? maybe not enough to justify the big ticket price tag....

Actually, this is one of the cheaper FULL exhaust systems out there. As for the whp gains, I'm a little sceptical my self, but you never know....:dance: