Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #1

Walmart and Mobil-1

The last time I bought 10 qts of 0w-40w Mobil 1 I got it at Walmart with no problem. Today I rolled up to the checkstand with ten and they said they could only sell me 8. :ah: There was a limit coded into their system. They said they couldn't even do a sale for 8 and then sell me two more in a new sale. No one knew why the limit was there, but I imagine unless it's some kind of error that it's standardized for all Walmarts. So if you buy your Mobil-1 from them, you might want to be prepared to go to the store twice.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #2

Wow that's stupid. I'd buy 8 put them in the car go back in and buy 2 more and go to another cashier!
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
FTD

Goofy. I had to show my ID to buy octane booster from there. I thought that was amusing.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #4

I read, but didn't verify, that because of the recent hurricanes in the gulf damaging the refineries, the producers, Mobil being one of the largest, have started limiting shipments because of their shortfall in production, and putting their sellers on quotas. There were only certain weights being affected, but Mobil 1 0w40 was on the list. Since Wal Mart would probably be one of their largest sellers (at least I would think they would be), they're probably not getting the allotment they used to get and are limiting the number of quarts you can purchase. Not only that, but the price will probably go up too! wonderful. supply and demand wins out again. Again, I didn't verify this but it makes sense. I'll see if I can locate the article and post the link.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #5

Just bought 10 from AutoZone no probs (except for the price lol). Walmart is goofy in some respects, I tried to buy 4 watch type batteries for an electronic organizer a couple of years back, they would only sell me 2. Noone knew the reason as to why but they stood firm on the policy, I try to avoid going there now.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #6

I went to Walmart a few weeks back and they didn't even have any 0W40 Mobil 1. Went to Autozone; they had two racks full of 0W40, probably 30-40 deep each. Bought my ten and paid $6.49 qt. Still alot cheaper than having someone else do it for me.

Now I just need the new billet oil filter adapter from flat6innovations to rid myself of the paper and plastic cartridge and I'll be all set; at least for the next oil change sometime in 2009.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
Just bought 10 from AutoZone no probs (except for the price lol). Walmart is goofy in some respects, I tried to buy 4 watch type batteries for an electronic organizer a couple of years back, they would only sell me 2. Noone knew the reason as to why but they stood firm on the policy, I try to avoid going there now.
That's because meth cooks use the lithium from the batteries to make a batch so they limit the quantity you can buy. They do the same on medicine that contains psuedoephedrine.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I went to Walmart a few weeks back and they didn't even have any 0W40 Mobil 1. Went to Autozone; they had two racks full of 0W40, probably 30-40 deep each. Bought my ten and paid $6.49 qt. Still alot cheaper than having someone else do it for me.

Now I just need the new billet oil filter adapter from flat6innovations to rid myself of the paper and plastic cartridge and I'll be all set; at least for the next oil change sometime in 2009.
$6.49? hmmm....

Back in July I went to a Mobil 1 service station. I gave them the OEM filter, they changed the oil, I was out the door for $80. Unfortunately I went about 30 minutes before closing so the car didn't drain fully. I'll do that next time.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote