Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Convertible Top won't drop

Greetings, First post! I have a 2000 base and the convertible top won't go down window drop to 3/4 after unlaching the handle. No Motor noise, thinkin elec. although Fuse checked out. It did rain on the box. Does anyone have any ideas?

kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman
Greetings, First post! I have a 2000 base and the convertible top won't go down window drop to 3/4 after unlaching the handle. No Motor noise, thinkin elec. although Fuse checked out. It did rain on the box. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have same problem. At this point I suspect the relay (under the dash). My research shows this is a problematic relay that has been replaced by a different relay #. I think it costs about $130, but installs easily in seconds.

Here is the chart: http://theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm

Let me know if this works. macyfilms@aol.com
macyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #3

switch

Also, before spending on the relay, check the emergency brake switch and the switch on the latch up top.
macyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #4

It is more often the microswitches than the relay... it's not really problematic at all - very reliable.

Make sure when you raise the handbrake that the dash light goes on, if not, try cycling the brake several times til it does. Replacement is easy and cleaning the switch is often successful. Header microswitch in the latch hole - try cycling this several times - use a pencil, ballpoint or anything which you can insert into the hole.

There are also microswitches on the 'b' pillar and at the motor. To get to the one at the motor, you'll need to raise/lower the top manually 0- this is discussed in the owners manual.

You can try pulling and re-seating the relay (driver side kick-panel - it's the only 'double-sized' relay in the panel). If none of these things work, then replacing the relay may be required.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replys, this forum is really impressive. I think the relay from the roof latch is working due to the widows dropping. Although I don't remember the brake light coming on in the dash. Where is that relay and how can I clean it?

Thanks, Dan
Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman
Thanks for all the replys, this forum is really impressive. I think the relay from the roof latch is working due to the widows dropping. Although I don't remember the brake light coming on in the dash. Where is that relay and how can I clean it?

Thanks, Dan
It's not a relay, it's a microswitch. It's located on the parking brake lever itself under the center console. These can fail, of get dirty and not energize the circuit when the parking brake is pulled. Sometimes, this can be made to work by holding the thumb button on the brake lever and cycling it several times, keeping an eye on the dash to see if the indicator lights up.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #7

You guys are exactly right about the microswitch after playing with the brake lever I was able to get the light to go on and the top to drop. I ordered a new switch from pelican parts and I'm off to the races! Thanks Dan