986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   convertible top in the rain (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18587)

germanauto 10-24-2008 01:44 PM

convertible top in the rain

I'm thinking about getting a 98 to 03 boxster and was wondering how do the tops hold up after 10 or so years? I would have to park outside so whenever it rained the top would get wet, but i guess i could get a cover. :cheers: :cheers:

7th gear 10-24-2008 01:59 PM

i'm sure you'll get varying opinions but just make sure you use 'raggtop' product on your top.

so far, it's worked for me....

rdancd816 10-24-2008 02:06 PM

My '97 has the original top and the condition is very good. I treat the top at least twice per year with Raggtop cleaner and conditioner. If yours will be outside you will probably want to increase the frequency. I would recommend a cover as well to prevent our flying friends from using the top as a target. Also be aware the 986's with the plastic window are very suseptable to cold weather cracking if folded up or down below about 50 degrees. These tops are quite durable if given proper care. There is also a lot of info on this site regarding replacement tops. Good luck!

Paul 10-24-2008 05:24 PM

The top has an outer canvas layer with a waterproof layer underneath. Newer cars also have a headliner.

FrayAdjacent 10-25-2008 02:14 PM

If it's been taken care of from new, the top should last a long time. 10 years is not unreasonable.

However, if not well cared for, they will need replacing. I got my 2001 used at the end of 2006. Put a new top on a year ago, because the old one was looking a little raggedy, and the rear window had cracked in a couple places. The plastic window can be replaced, but the top was just not in good enough shape to salvage.

I replaced the top with a Robbins glass window top, and like it a lot. I did it myself, and it was a PITA, but worth it in the end.

E Kaplan 10-26-2008 10:08 AM

The tops will last for 10 years or so, but even with good care, you are likely to see a darker looking area in the cloth on both sides of the rear plastic window.

I purchased a 2000 last year, which was garaged kept and thought the top looked good. After replacing the top with a GAHH with glass window, there was a difference. The new top makes the car look newer and the glass window is a great upgrade. Having a defroster in Florida is a great option.

My recommendation, when you can, get a new top with a rear glass window.
Eric

vipola 10-26-2008 03:19 PM

I bought my 99 last spring, it passed the summer/fall outdoor and i never had any trouble with the top, I never applied nothing on it either, now i got a house so it go inside, but I also think that if the car had good care you should not have any trouble..

by the way.. what are the stuff you guys put on the top to keep it sealed ?

thanks

70Sixter 10-28-2008 02:00 PM

Vipola,

Not to give you a hard time, but RaggTop was recommended by several posters. :)