Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #1

AM Reception in Atlanta???

I have the 220 stock unit and my AM reception is horrible. I live @ 30 miles north of Atlanta. On my Avalanche the AM receiption is great but on the Boxster it is aweful. Is this normal? If not what could be causing it?
Thanks all

gotmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #2

Have you tried the AM radio hack? The ground is not making good contact with bare metal. I think you can find it on Mike Fockes' site. PS be careful when reattaching the 2 bolts holding the sunvisor, or you will be doing that hack too. (don't ask me how I know). Jim
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #3

All the AM radio hack links I find are dead.

However, it's easy to accomplish...

On the passenger side A-pillar, there is a grounding screw for the antenna. The hack involves....

- removing the screw
- sanding off the body paint down to bare metal
- reattaching the grounding screw

To access the grounding screw, you'll need to remove the visor (3 torx screws) and A-pillar trim (held on by one clip at the bottom after visor is removed). Here are pictures from Stefan's key remote extender hack to show you how to remove visor & A-pillar trim. NOTE - these pictures are all from the driver's side... same as on passenger side (where antenna grounding screw is - just reversed):

use a finger nail and pull down the flap on inner side of visor mount to windshield header and remove torx screw - T-20)

then remove the 2 outboard ones (T-30)

remove visor and pull a-pillar trim away from frame. It will only come out about 3-4 inches

the base of the a-pillar trim is held in w/ a clip. Using either a ruler or a long screwdriver, reach down in behind the trim piece and release the clip by pushing it outward toward the a-pillar

Once removed, you'll see a small (2-3" metal bracket w/ a gold screw attached to the a-pillar (there will also be a long black plastic box connected to it w/ a black wire leading to/from it).

Unscrew bracket from a-pillar (10mm IIRC). Use some sandpaper (200-400 grit) and remove all the body paint down to bare metal where this screw and bracket attached to a-pillar.

Reassemble and you'll be be good to go. Again, the pictures showing trim removal are from the driver's side. You'll be working on the passenger side (in a LHD vehicle). The antenna grounding picture is correct though...

Good luck

as jrblackbox suggests, do not overtighten the T-30 screws. Only hand tight - firm but no mor than a qtr turn after it's snugged up. If you over tighten they will fall out and you'll unfortunately need another hack. In the unlikely event you do, here's a link to the DIY I wrote how to r&r the windshield header retainers w/ nutserts

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote