Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #1

Side Air Bag Protection details...

Do all Boxsters have the same side air bag protection (PSIP)? I was reading an '04 Porsche Press Release and it said the following:

"A further highlight featured as standard: side airbags with full head protection also in a convertible

All Porsche sports cars come as standard with the POSIP (Porsche Side Impact Protection) side airbag system. Through their specific geometry, the side airbags efficiently protect the occupant's head and upper body even with the roof open and the side windows retracted. "

Any experts out there with an answer? Thanks in advance...

Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #2

1997 did not have side air bags, as that started in 1998, if that is your question.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, but I may not have been clear. Once the Boxster got airbags (98), did the design ever change? I have two 2004 booklets that boast about the unique side air bags of the '04 Boxster, in that they also provide head protection. One is a press release, the other source is a dealership brochure that actually shows a picture of how the side air bags protect the head in a collison. They make a big deal of the design, so I wasn't sure if this was a new feature for the side air bags in '04, or something that the Boxster had since 1998. Hope that's a little more clear.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:29 AM   #4

2004 added a "head curtain" that pops up from the top of the door as well as the airbag just above the handle that spreads out sideways along the torso. Folks like Mercedes and BMW have had head curtains for awhile, but Porsche is claiming the first convertible with a head curtain.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #5

The "head curtain" air bags are new for the 2005 Boxster (987 Model)- giving the 987 six air bags all together.

My question is regarding the 986. If any of you have the Boxster brochure that is copyrighted 2003 (for the 2004 986 model I presume) it describes the side air bag protection on page 70.

It's called POSIP (Porsche Side Impact Protection) and explains how the side airbags extend to the head. I'm curious if this was new for 2004, or merely the same design that was in the car from 1998.

This question has stumped everyone I've asked.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #6

sorry I mispoke about 2004 vs 2005,

My 2002 brochure describes and pictures POSIP

"Dual 30-liter side airbags" ... "form a large flat cushion that extens the normal shoulder protection to the head and chest area.

I think there is only one side airbag for the 986... You ask for part numbers on renntech to be sure.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote