Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #1

Best source for Optima?

Anyone know a good source to purchase an Optima battery from? Locally, I can get one for (IIRC) $179, but figured I could beat that easily online.

I'm looking at getting a Yellow Top to put in the Box. The battery in it now is definitely at a state of degraded output, but hasn't died yet.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2

This isn't the answer that you were looking for, but considering the value of the 986 that you drive (almost like mine, by the way, and looks super, so don't take offense), you aren't rich. The battery is only needed to turn over a amall 6 cylinder motor. No winch or anything to operate. ANY $75 battery will do a wonderful job for 5-7 yrs. If you are as fussy as me, check out a prior article in Consumers Reports to find out what's well rated.
I know that Austin heat is tough on batteries, but consider that yours in NOT in the hot engine compartment like most cars. Just a hunch, but you probably don't get much sub-zero weather in Austin, so all the more reason to spend the extra hundred on 25 gallons of gas, rather than amps and have a good time.

Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #3

I would have to disagree. Putting an Optima in my lowly 944 was the best decision. I got it cheap because I was turning in a dead sears battery under warranty. However, i never had to worry about it not starting (because of the battery anyways). I could leave my parking lights on for 10 hours and it would still start like a champ. Now I'm pulling it out of there for a much smaller lighter battery and I'm going to drop it in the box. It's already outlasted usefulness in one car, now it's going on into it's second.

For what other random parts cost an extra $100 is not much for peace of mind. 10yr warranty is nice too. It's your decision though.
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #4

I've had an Optima red top in my 911 for probably 5 years now. I never have to put it on a battery tender (I have a cut-off switch), and the thing always cranks without effort. I bought a Porsche replacement battery for my Box S from the dealer because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of making a mounting bracket. Other than that, I wouldn't have thought twice about putting one in the car.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

I've had an Optima red top last for over 15 years in a car that was used only occasionally and never had battery tender. It was also run completely flat a couple of times while sitting in the car in the garage. I'm convinced that this is the most robust commonly available battery on the market today. The extra cost of an Optima is well worth the peace of mind for me.

There are a few online retailers that sell these batteries, including ebay. Just shop around for the best price (with shipping). The problem you're going to have is that the yellow top does not come with reversed poles like the red top, so you will not have enough cable length to reach both poles. You'll need to extend the cables or just get a 34R red top.

I mounted mine without adding a secondary tray. I just used the existing holes in the tray to hold the battery down with cleats.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #6

This outfit was highly recommended for Optima mounting parts to me over a year ago. I have not yet dealt with them, so no personal knowledge.

http://www.yellowdogmotorsports.com/store.php

There have also been a bunch of DIYs on various sites.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote