Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Is reusing gaskets a good idea?

I have a 01 S, and I just got NHP headers and I spoke with the owner of maxspeed and he said its better to reuse the porsche oem gaskets that are on already since they are steel and better quality. Will that work? or should I just buy new gaskets? Also I read on a thread before people saying to my new bolts that are capable of high heat. I dont understand what the difference would be.

Thanks

violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #2

I would use new gaskets. Don't they come with? Here is a link to the proper metal gaskets...not that expensive.

http://www.****************************************.com/ShowItem/139962%20Porsche%20Boxster%20Exhaust%20Manifold%20 To%20Head%20Gasket.aspx
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #3

NEVER!!!!!!!

Gaskets seal by compressing between the two surfaces. Once the gasket has been compressed once, it will not longer compress and you'll get leaks.

Some neoprene gaskets can be reused if they're still pliable, but for paper or metal gaskets, you need to replace them. If the Porsche gaskets are better, buy a new set of those and use them.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #4

I bought the maxspeed headers and love them but the supplied gaskets are crap. They are two pices metal with some kind of filler sandwiched in between. The filler crumbels out and leaks. I fixed the leak three times, before i dug the old porsche gasket out of the garage and used it, no problems from then on.
The porsche gasket is just a sheet of metal and I cant see how that goes bad.

If you dont use the old one, at least go buy a new porsche gasket from the dealer.
Dont use the maxspeed gaskets if you can help it.

Buy new bolts as well, my old bolts fell out all over the highway and they where a huge problem. Also I used high heat antiseze stuff that helps keep them in there and also from getting stuck.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
2001 RUF 3800S

Thats why I thought, they are metal, why wouldnt they work again? I spoke to the owner of Maxspeed and he said he always reuses the gaskets and never had a problem, he admitted not to use the ones that are provided with the NHP headers.

But why would your bolts fall out? My car has never seen winter, so i doubt they are rusted at all...
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #6

I dont know what the cause is. I would guess heat/cold cycles maybe have something to do with it. My bolts where not rusted at all and they came out without issues. However they would not stay in. You cant over torque because the block is soft aluminum. I put them in to specs and they keep falling out.
I got the new ones, for 12$ at the dealer, and they have stayed in. Who knows, but i, no lie, have redone the bolts 10 times, and for 12$ it is worth not crawling under the car again.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
2001 RUF 3800S

Yeah sounds like a good idea, ill just get the bolts from the dealer and since im there ill get the gaskets just incase.

Did you get all the bolts? or just the ones that actually connect the headers to the engine?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #8

I just got the header bolts. They had to order them. Pelican parts has them also for next to nothing. The flange bolts went back together without a problem. You will love the headers, Awsome sound and actual increase in power.