Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #1

Question Winter not far... Car cover?

It will be a first winter in the garage for my 03 Boxster base. Any good place to buy a car cover? I don't need a waterproof one as the car will be in my house garage. Does spending $260.00 for a Porsche one is the right choice or others cheap one are good too?

Tks!

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #2

Don't waste your money on the Porsche cover. Flannel lined covers from cover king or covercraft are half the price and better for indoor storage.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would recommend you reconsider storing your Boxster. I have driven my through blizzards and all sorts of snow with no problems. You don't need to drive it everyday, but Boxsters that get stored normally tend to have a lot more problems than the ones that are driven.
Just my $0.02!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #4

You don't need to spend that kind of money. I have two covers for the cars that are light, durable and offer protection, with breathability. My friend has a lightweight cover (flannel/cotton) he bought on eBay for under $50 and it works great. I believe mine are some kind of DuPont material; very soft on the inside.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #5

It depends on where your car is going to be covered. inside probably doesn't matter as much. I had the Porsche cover for my 944 which has always been stored outside. It kept it cleaner and fit better than any aftermarket cover. Even in high wind it stayed put. We can't say the same on other cars including some $300 aftermarket covers.

That being said, many people are happy with the cheap costco generic car cover. Inside you should be more worried about dust and ding protection than UV and wind.

I have yet to get a cover for my 987, haven't decided what it will be, but I think I will go for a fitted cover designed for indoors.
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I would recommend you reconsider storing your Boxster. I have driven my through blizzards and all sorts of snow with no problems. You don't need to drive it everyday, but Boxsters that get stored normally tend to have a lot more problems than the ones that are driven.
Just my $0.02!
He's in Quebec, they get shiat load of snow over there not to mention it's hella cold.

Women there are very hot however, they might keep him warm.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
He's in Quebec, they get shiat load of snow over there not to mention it's hella cold.

Women there are very hot however, they might keep him warm.
Ekam is right... Last year we got 5 meters of snow (17 feet). See att picture of my son in front of my home and just imagine a Boxster travelling in that ****************...for 6 months... She's will be better inside with sleepers & pyjama...

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote