Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #1

newbie lower arm question

Hi
I have had the following report back from an engineer

Steering & Susp
N/S/F, N/S/R & O/S/R Lower arm bushes split/separated - Req x3 Lower arms + Associated lock nuts

Questions are
1. Would it be a mistake to use a cheaper replacement rather than the genuine porsche part? e.g. aftermarket or TRW

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod3960/Control-Arm-with-Lower-Ball-Joint-Porsche-986-Boxster-and-996---04/

2. If the bushes are split/separated don't I just need replacement bushes? And futhermore this part doesn't look like it comes with bushes included (just ball joint) so I need to get them as well separately?

vonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #2

TRW is the supplier to porsche so buy the TRW and avoid the porsche name upcharge. The generic one looks like it is made in china. I would be leary of the strength of the metal. You save a litle cash, but risk killing yourself if it breaks.

Vertex auto is another option you did not mention. They have reconditioned porsche arms. Buy theirs, send them the core and they give you about half of it back.
I did not go with this option simply because it was too much trouble to mail the arms back and forth and if you add the cost of your time, it is the same cost.

I had to replace my arms as well due to a knocking noise. I thought my car handled fine just made a noise BUT after replacement, the car came back alive and it was AMAZING the difference that new bushings make.

You can buy aftermarket bushings, but they are geared to racing and not comfort, and they are not really cheap (~60$) and you need to remove the arms, remove the bushings, and place the new ones. Unless you have a bearing press you will have to pay to have this done. Price benifit is now a mute point.

the arms are really plug and play so to save you a headache and get your car back one the road the fastest go with complete replacement over just the bushings.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 05-20-2011 at 06:51 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #3

control arms

just replaced control arms,drop links, and tie-rods, front & rear (used Vertex) quit happy. did the work myself (would share in sites if needed) Vertex shipped free, returned core and i would say all is good. (dealer quoited $3,000 just for front rebuild-i spent less than $1500 on parts (10front-8 rear)
WRGREENER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

thanks guys great advice

vonders is offline   Reply With Quote