Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #1

Wink Sound upgrade...Need your inputs

Guys;

My car: 03 Boxster base.

I'm looking to have a little more punch on sound side. I don't want to break all windows on main street, but just want to have a little more boom in sound.

Actual setup:
Alpine CDA-9885 deck
XM Satellite Roady XT wired to dedicated aux. input in the Alpine deck
Dash top & door Porsche factory installed speakers
Rear Porsche speakers kit in rear storage compt.

I don't want to spend too much $$. Also, I don't want to start to use a jig saw and cut all the door and dash...

Need your advise. Do I need an amp? What kind will be ok?
Do I need to install a sub or change the door speakers and buy some that have sub integrated... Any advise will help.

Tks!

Thierry

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

An amp will improve things greatly. As for subs, thats where it gets semi complicated. In my opinion, the best thing is a sub mounted in the passenger footwell, but you can manage to git the Focal 5" subs in the door panels, though you then lose a good bit of mid bass performance.

Search this forum, there are plenty of posts on the topic.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #3

Over on another Porsche forum, a guy figured out how to mount 8" woofers in the door panels. They were shallow 8" Kicker subs, and he mounted them in the doors backwards. There was some plexiglass fabrication in it somewhere...

Of course, it was on the end of some good equipment - amps, crossovers and a good headunit. He said it sounded amazing.

If I had the coin to drop, I'd do the same thing. Probably have the speakers professionally mounted.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
You have a good head unit. Unless you have the Bose system the stock speakers suck rocks. Putting in 4 quality speakers that match well with you Alpine will make a huge difference. Personally I think adding 8" subs in a boxster is blasphemy but to each his own. Do a listening test and compare high end speakers/no subs vs speakers with subs and decide which works best for you.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #5

The first mod that I did on my 2001 Box was to pull the door skins and replace the Bose subs with JL Audio 6.5 inch. At that point I was running the stock amp and stock headunit which sounded much better. Wanting even more umph, I installed a new head unit and 2,000 watt 4 channel amp. I'm still using the stock dash speakers and will eventually upgrade them to MB Quartz. If you replace the door subs you'll need to make a custom install plate out of wood or MDF.

There is sooo much information on this forum about the Porsche stereo including the wire color coding (that was the tricky part that took me a few weeks to figure it out). I have several posting here on the wire color coding...

Search, print and read and you'll learn a ton!

Good luck!

-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote