986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PCA DE event Tech inspection (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18064)

Mike_Yi 08-28-2008 10:53 AM

PCA DE event Tech inspection

I'm not sure if this should go here or into the Pit Stop. If it belongs there, I hope a Mod will move it.

I'm going to my first PCA DE event in the middle of next month. I have no fear of not passing the Technical Inspection (got the checklist off the site) except for one thing. My left front tire has a bulge in the sidewall. I'm wondering if it is likely that they will fail the car for that. Anybody have any idea/experience?

FTD 08-28-2008 12:04 PM

A bulge like a blister? You should fail it yourself and get it resolved. You wouldn't want a blown tire to ruin your fun day. JMO

Bob O 08-28-2008 01:03 PM

In fact, you shouldn't be driving it much at all. A blister or bubble on the sidewall is an idication of a weak spot caused by either hitting something, separation of the plies, or poor construction, or even age, and it could blow out at any time. Or not. That's the problem. You just don't know. I'd take it immediately to a tire store and have them look at it. I most definitely wouldn't take it like that to the track.

Bob

Topless 08-28-2008 01:37 PM

Ever see a Porsche hit the wall on a fast track when a tire sidewall failed at 140mph? Not a pretty sight. Luckily the driver walked away after they cut her out of the car.

Get a new tire pronto, two if the other one is more than 3000 miles along. For DE prep, tires and brakes need to be first rate.

Mike_Yi 08-28-2008 01:50 PM

I figured as much (which is why I asked). Any idea how I can gauge if I need to replace both the fronts or not? I got the car used and it had these tires on it when I bought it. No way to know for sure how many miles they have. I should probably just go ahead and replace both of them since they are cheap tires anyway. I was hoping that I could tear these up before replacing them.

Topless 08-28-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I figured as much (which is why I asked). Any idea how I can gauge if I need to replace both the fronts or not? I got the car used and it had these tires on it when I bought it. No way to know for sure how many miles they have. I should probably just go ahead and replace both of them since they are cheap tires anyway. I was hoping that I could tear these up before replacing them.

Any good tire guy can tell you how old and how far along your tires are. If all are more than half gone, do yourself a favor and mount a fresh set of four. Tirerack has some extreme performance street tires that are very reasonable. Kumho and Hankook come to mind. In Chicago Nexen A/S are also a good choice cause they are good in winter too.

easyc 08-28-2008 04:39 PM

To answer your question... if it isn't noticable when just glancing at the wheels, then I say they wont find it................. BUT you should absolutely not leave it be

jmatta 08-28-2008 05:43 PM

Your sidewall will have a date code on it showing ww/yy produced. If there is indeed a bulge, I wouldn't risk driving the car either, unless you plan to replace it along with the tires.

renzop 08-29-2008 03:47 AM

Buy good tires!

You own a high performance machine. Your tires are the only link to the ground. DO not spend any other money on the car (and that includes DE entry fees) until you have a set of 4 quality tires underneath it.

Tech inspection is not a joke. It is not something that a bunch of old guys put there to hassle people. It is about saving your life. They might miss the tire bulge at tech inspection but that doesn't mean you should try to sneak through. Its your life and your car you are risking.

Brad Roberts 09-01-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Ever see a Porsche hit the wall on a fast track when a tire sidewall failed at 140mph? Not a pretty sight. Luckily the driver walked away after they cut her out of the car.

Is this what happened to the lady at the Fontucky PCA club race event? Lady from AZ in the 993??

B

Topless 09-01-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Is this what happened to the lady at the Fontucky PCA club race event? Lady from AZ in the 993??

B

Yes,
What a way to lose a beautiful car. I am glad she is ok. Preliminary investigation was tire sidewall failure. I have not heard the final outcome. Turn 2 at Fontana will bite you when you least expect it.

Brad Roberts 09-01-2008 07:52 PM

I know the instructor personally that was instructing her that weekend. He is a long time POC 994Spec guy, long before she wrecked, his exact words where "she is scaring me". Several of us where standing outside the garage area watching that turn. We heard the noise :barf: saw the bottom of the car and knew somebody was in trouble!! She was in garage space just down from several of my PCA San Diego friends. We had just finished installing GT3 front arms on a Boxster and aligning it. We where taking a break watching the cars go around!!

B

Topless 09-01-2008 08:19 PM

And speaking of PCA-SDR, one of your former 914 buddies Herb Meeder says hello. He was my instructor on Sunday at the Performance driving school. Great guy.

Brad Roberts 09-01-2008 08:29 PM

How in the hell did my name come up?? http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_em...ult/clap56.gif

Former?? I just GAVE him a crank for his latest engine build, and I paid him tow fund money to attend a 914 event up near Laguna!! http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_em...ilie_pokal.gif

Herb is a great guy. Good sense of humor and really strong instructor.

B

Topless 09-01-2008 08:47 PM

We were chatting about spec racing and I said this guy Brad Roberts is pretty active with Boxster spec and just moved to my area from SD... ever heard of him? He went on and on. He had a lot of good things to say about you. Always there to help a driver in need.

As an instructor Herb is first rate. He has that rare combination of patience, driving skill and ability to communicate what comes next. We cleaned up several bad habits that day.

skip_168 09-02-2008 03:25 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure if this should go here or into the Pit Stop. If it belongs there, I hope a Mod will move it.

I'm going to my first PCA DE event in the middle of next month. I have no fear of not passing the Technical Inspection (got the checklist off the site) except for one thing. My left front tire has a bulge in the sidewall. I'm wondering if it is likely that they will fail the car for that. Anybody have any idea/experience?

well, you saw it and a red flag went up about it.. just save yourself the trouble & get a new tire...

Mike_Yi 09-02-2008 09:35 AM

Yeah. Now the problem is what tires to get. I'm wrestling with whether I should get summer tires or all-seasons. Of course, I'd love to get summers, but that means I'll have to spend another grand to get winters. I'll also have to store a set fo wheels and tires all year (in my shed which is not the most secure place). Of course, if I replace the front tires with all-seasons, the rear still has summer tires. On top of all this, I'm trying to figure out a way to get the new tires and get everything done before the DE event on the 19th. Too much to do and too little time.

skip_168 09-02-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Yeah. Now the problem is what tires to get. I'm wrestling with whether I should get summer tires or all-seasons. Of course, I'd love to get summers, but that means I'll have to spend another grand to get winters. I'll also have to store a set fo wheels and tires all year (in my shed which is not the most secure place). Of course, if I replace the front tires with all-seasons, the rear still has summer tires. On top of all this, I'm trying to figure out a way to get the new tires and get everything done before the DE event on the 19th. Too much to do and too little time.

hahaha.. Winter tires? Summer tires? whats all that? I'm in florida... :)

Mike_Yi 09-02-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip_168
hahaha.. Winter tires? Summer tires? whats all that? I'm in florida... :)

You want to learn car control? Come drive in the winter in Chicago. I drove an '89 Firebird Formula with 235bhp/340lb-ft torque, posi rear-end, and 245/50-16s all winter for 10 years. For two of those winters, I was on Goodyear GS-Cs (summer-dry tires). When I was a kid, my best friend and I used to have contests to see who could drive his '72 Camaro sideways the furthest. It's about like drifting. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than track days. Then again, the cars take more beating from the salt than they probably do at track days.

Brad Roberts 09-02-2008 03:01 PM

Mike,

why not buy a second set of 17's and mount up some "semi" sticky tires for AutoX and track days? We are buying generic 17 inch take-offs out here for under $400. They are all over Craigslist.

I have relatives in Indy, and they all have a second set of rims just for this purpose. Bag them up during the winter and they will last a couple of years.

B