986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   12 yo's and bicycles (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18039)

Bob O 08-26-2008 03:24 PM

12 yo's and bicycles

I was in a pretty cruddy mood leaving a client's office after getting unnecessarily beat on. And, I'd also made a wrong turn looking for an address. While I was at a stop sign figuring out my next move, a kid on a bicycle came slowly across the intersection. As soon as he saw the car, he got a big grin on his face and stopped by my drivers door. He looked up and down the car, nodded his head, said "awwwwwwwwsome" and peddled off before I could say anything! I felt a lot better about things and had a big grin on MY face too. :)

And to top it off, when I got home there was a cardinal (the bird, :D ) on the back porch. Haven't seen one of those around here in long time. It was a good day

Bob

coreseller 08-26-2008 06:38 PM

I've been in industrial sales for over 20 years, nothing like jumping into a car you like to make a bad call / day right. My company vehicle is newer GTO 6 speed, few people recognize what it is but it still lessens the sting of an ugly day. Getting home and running one of the kids to their practice with the top down in the Boxster.........Makes everything alright. We are indeed blessed................ :cheers:

bmx672 08-27-2008 07:15 AM

I used to be that 12 year old on the bmx bike looking at a Porsche saying the same thing! 27 years later I'm in the Porsche now!... but, I do still race my BMX bike at the track too! hehehehe. I have the best of both worlds you might say!

Lil bastard 08-27-2008 07:55 AM

Cute story
:cheers:

LoveBunny 08-28-2008 04:56 PM

Funny how such a small thing can totally change your mood. I've had similar things happen, just a little comment from a stranger, that totally turned around an awful day.

Frodo 08-29-2008 03:55 AM

Sittin' at a stop light the other day, had a guy on a Harley compliment my car. A Harley guy! I didn't think they were supposed to like Porsches. (Thought they were usually more inclined to appreciate a nice, big, new, shiny pickup.)

Anyway, I thought that was kinda cool.

dmcutter 08-29-2008 04:48 AM

I was sitting at a light once and a guy on an Aprilia Mille rolled up next to me. I said sweet bike and he said nice car. I think motorheads of all persuasions appreciate fine machinery.

Brucelee 08-29-2008 06:17 AM

This is an interesting aspect of human behavior. That having someone appreciate what you appreciate, creates a bond, even if it fleeting and lasts just for a moment.

Recently, I was riding on my Sporty and a guy on a modded VROD pulls next to me at a light. His bike was awesome, to the tune of maybe $30K total investment.

So, as I am admiring it, he says in this thick Italian accent. I love your bike! I love all Harley Davidsons. Then he disappears in a cloud of smoke as the light changes.

Life can be so simple and elegant at times. :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 08-29-2008 01:20 PM

Richard, I'm ignorant here... do VROD's produce a lot of smoke out the tailpipe, or did he light up his rear tire on the takeoff to create it?

Brucelee 08-29-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Richard, I'm ignorant here... do VROD's produce a lot of smoke out the tailpipe, or did he light up his rear tire on the takeoff to create it?

A nice controlled slide and off he went, leaving much tire tread in his wake.

coreseller 08-29-2008 04:35 PM

An apropos exit, especially since Porsche was the collaborator with Harley on the watercooled V-Rod engine.......true.

Brucelee 08-29-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller
An apropos exit, especially since Porsche was the collaborator with Harley on the watercooled V-Rod engine.......true.

It IS a great motor.