986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lots o' questions - RS 60s, options discounts, 2009 models, CD Changer, and more! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18000)

ejmc11 08-23-2008 04:16 PM

Lots o' questions - RS 60s, options discounts, 2009 models, CD Changer, and more!

Hi folks,

Haven't been around this site in a long time since I got my Boxster, as I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever -- until 2 weeks ago, when a woman driving a Prius turned left when she didn't have a green arrow, right into the driver's side of my car at about 30mph or so. The result is in the attached photo. I'm just thankful that I was driving such a well-built car, as I could be in a lot worse shape than I am now (and that is not very good shape at all, taking that big of a hit has a big impact on your health.. but that's a much longer story which is of little interest to a Boxster forum!) The car is currently with the body shop, which informed me that there is structural damage to the A pillar and to the floor, so it's almost certainly going to be declared a total loss.

I've been thinking long and hard about what kind of car I want to move into, and I can't think of anything better than the 987 platform. I went in to the dealer today to inquire about the 2009 models, but I spotted an RS 60 with the black top and dark gray leather, and it's got me seriously considering it... so, a couple of q's:

* I originally got 8% off of MSRP when I ordered my '07 Boxster S with just Bose and Xenon as options in December '06, took delivery in May '07, from Fred Baker in Ohio. What is a reasonable discount considering that the 2009's are just around the corner, and this car is already on the lot?

* Does the dealer have more leeway on discounting options vs. the base car? The car I'm considering has almost $6k of options I don't care about (PCM, heated seats, automatic climate control, sport chrono, cd changer, etc), for a total price of just under $74k. Pricing the car as I want online, I come to $68k. Would it be reasonable to try to deduct the cost of all those options I don't care for, and then take at least 8% off the price?

* Does the CD changer take up room in the front trunk, or is it hidden under the plastic bits in there? (I didn't think to check this when I was at the dealer)

* Other than the DFI and improved PCM with touchscreen and iPod integration, any other big changes to 2009 that would be worth waiting for (besides the mild re-design, which isn't necessarily a plus!)

* Are the RS 60's only 2008 models, or are they also being sold as 2009 models? I can't find a clear answer anywhere on the 'net.

And for those of you who haven't yet heard the sport exhaust.. it's *nice*. Sounds really mean, no weird "burbles" as I've heard on a lot of aftermarket exhausts when the revs come down and get close to idle.

Thanks for any and all input! It felt *so* good to drive a Porsche again after dealing with rental cars the last few weeks, can't wait to be back "home".

silver arrow 08-23-2008 04:30 PM

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I am sorry your car got hit. Very glad you are ok and I love the wheels on your car. Hope you get a new Boxster to enjoy soon. :cheers:

Adam 08-23-2008 04:34 PM

Glad to hear you're ok. Looks like nasty hit.

ejmc11 08-23-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver arrow
I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I am sorry your car got hit. Very glad you are ok and I love the wheels on your car. Hope you get a new Boxster to enjoy soon. :cheers:

The wheels looked even better on the car when they were all pointed the right way.. :) I'll post up some photos pre-accident tomorrow. I really dug those Carrera S wheels, and I'd gotten a great deal on eBay and they were in *perfect* condition. I took ridiculously good care of that whole car, then for this to happen was just crushing. I just need to look at the positives and not dwell on the negatives - that RS 60 looks and sounds like the quickest way for me to forget this ever happened!

Besides the car damage, the accident's left me with a few cracked ribs, sprained wrist, neck and back pain, and constant migraines for which vicodin is only slightly helping.. and I can't do anything physical anymore or I just get nauseous after about 2 minutes. Being an avid rock climber, this has been absolutely killing me.. like I said above, I think being able to drive a fun car again will do a lot of good for me! There's nothing quite like a Boxster to put a smile on one's face..

bmussatti 08-23-2008 05:11 PM

WOW, very nasty hit. I hate to see those type of pictures. I hope you get better soon.

The RS60 is a very beautiful car (I really like the version with the red leather and red top too) and a great value...if you really wanted those options in the first place. The RS 60 is a 2008 MY.

The CD changer does not take up extra space. Yes, PSE is awesome.

It would NOT be reasonable of you to deduct options and then deduct an additional 8%. But, you can always ask.

You should be able to get 10% off MSRP (right now) and maybe up to 15% off MSRP when the summer driving season ends and 2009's start rolling in (October). But the car may not last that long.

I would not buy the first model year of a major re-design like they are planning for the 2009 engine. I'd wait until the 2010.

ejmc11 08-23-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
The RS60 is a very beautiful car (I really like the version with the red leather and red top too) and a great value...if you really wanted those options in the first place. The RS 60 is a 2008 MY.

Thanks for your quick answers! Glad to hear that I wouldn't be losing any trunk space, I tend to shop for water in bulk and usually fill up both trunks just perfectly :) So all 1960 RS 60's have already been built then? The only special edition Boxster for '09 is the white Design Edition one?

It's really weird being in a position where you're shopping for a new car when you weren't expecting it, I thought I was all set for a full 3 years.

I remember reading about when you first commented on the sport exhaust, finally understand what all your enthusiasm was about! Can't wait to find a tunnel with the top down and the PSE singing its beautiful tune..

Lordblood 08-23-2008 05:31 PM

First off, glad to hear your ok!

The RS60 was built to be a special edition, so a 2009, I'd expect to be a little below or just as good as the RS60.

Think of it like the Ferrari 360 challenge, it was replaced by the ordinary F430 and it was just as good, if only a tiny bit better.

If you want a car now, I think it would be best to get the RS60. If you want to wait till the 2009 model comes out, then you can take the risk of getting a worse car, or simply buy a used RS60 with low miles (or try to find one, as it is limited edition).

That's my opinion on it.

husker boxster 08-23-2008 08:30 PM

I bought my LE on New Year's Eve, which is an excellent day to buy a car. Got a 12% disc off sticker. Might have been able to get more but in 10 min of negotiating they ended up taking my initial offer. I didn't figure they'd be willing to deal on such a low serial number, but they were.

Dealers are always more motivated to sell a car on their lot than give you a big discount on an order, so your dealer should be willing to dicker on his in-stock RS60. The economy has worsened since I bought mine, so I imagine Porsche dealers are feeling the pinch - the mkt is flooded with used Boxsters and fewer people are buying new ones. Even more reason why they should be glad to see a paying customer interested in something they have on hand.

I'm assuming you'd buy the RS60 to drive, which would be a good move. Even though Porsche has all these "limited edition" models, there's nothing that rare about them to make them collectors items. Look at the 04 550 edition. They're now worth a few bucks more than the garden variety S. So don't be foolish enough to think it will hold its value better because it's "rare". Lower serial numbers are more desirable, but there won't be people lining up to buy it from you in a few yrs.

Not sure what to tell you about waiting for the 09. Normally I'd agree with Bmuss about waiting a year on a major engine change, but were talking about Porsche here. They can be aware of a major problem and not change manufacturing procedures for 10 yrs, so why wait?

It was painful to see your damaged Box, but glad you're going to be able to spin a negative into a positive. Hope your health returns to normal. Having good health is always taken for granted and never appreciated until its gone.

PS. There's a simple 5 min hack to keep the sport exhaust permanently on so you don't have to push the Sport button every time you start the car. It sounds so good.

Good luck in many regards.

944boy 08-23-2008 09:02 PM

That sucks! More reason why some people should not have licenses.

I'm glad your ok. Get the RS60!

ejmc11 08-23-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster
PS. There's a simple 5 min hack to keep the sport exhaust permanently on so you don't have to push the Sport button every time you start the car. It sounds so good.

Good luck in many regards.

I'd love if you can point me in the direction of this info -- thanks! Do the orange LE's also have the PSE? I think it's a bit odd that the RS 60's only have the front part of the aerokit, I love the rear end too and it looks a bit uneven to only have that bit on the front bumper.

And yes, the new Boxster is definitely being bought to drive - on the street and occasional track days for fun, I used to race professionally and can't resist flogging the Boxster whenever the opportunity presents itself :)

I'll keep you guys posted, and will definitely post pics, once I get my new car.

Cheers!

husker boxster 08-24-2008 05:29 AM

PSE Hack

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejmc11
I'd love if you can point me in the direction of this info -- thanks!

Not sure if it's documented elsewhere (probably is), but here's what I did. The PSE has 2 vacuum tanks attached to the muffler. When the PSE is "off", these tanks are under pressure to direct the exhaust thru the extra chambers. When PSE is "on", the vacuum is released and so is that great sound. It's a simple matter of disconnecting the vacuum to the tanks.

Initially I was going to disconnect the lines to each tank. However, I noticed each line went to the center of the car and joined at a T intersection to a line that went towards the front of the car. I disconnected the line going to the front of the car, stuck a small screw into that line, taped over it, taped over the hole in the T connector, and finally taped the line that I disconnected onto the top of the T connector to keep it from falling onto the muffler. I used electical tape. Be sure to do this hack when the muffler is not hot (duh).

I got pinched a couple of months ago for not having the front plate on my car. I couldn't figure out how to secure the bottom part of the bracket to the car. I stopped by the dealer after work to ask the salesman how to do it. He offered to put it on for me, so I accepted (turns out you have to drill 4 holes :eek: into a 987 bumper cover rather than the 2 in a 986). When the salesman came back, he commented on my exhaust. He mentioned that it sounded good and was surprised since it wasn't on Sport. I told him about my hack.

Frodo 08-24-2008 05:59 AM

Ouch! It is truly painful to look at that photo---that is (was) one beautiful car. (And, in addition to the gorgeous wheels, I think that's my favorite color.) I got mine used down the road a bit from Fred Baker's---at Stoddard's in Willoughby.

The unfortunate collision happened in Cleveland somewhere? Since moving to NE Ohio (11 years ago now), I decided long ago there are some really crummy drivers around here.

Better luck with your next one.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm going to the AX at Lakeland Community College in Kirtland. It's Sep 28. Maybe I'll see you there? (I'll be in the Box, an '01 Seal Grey, and will probably be luggin' a camera bag around with me.)

pierre shags 08-24-2008 11:03 AM

migraines

"Besides the car damage, the accident's left me with a few cracked ribs, sprained wrist, neck and back pain, and constant migraines for which vicodin is only slightly helping."

Sorry to hear you are NOT okay. My wife has helped a number of migraine sufferers with Cranio-Sacral therapy.

Offroad911 08-24-2008 01:52 PM

The RS-60 is a 2008 model, 1.960 units total world wide / 800 or so to the US, offered in GT Silver with Red Full Leather or gray interior, RED or black top. As a package the RS-60 is almost unbeatable because it has so many upgrades. The engine is 303 HP, more than any boxster or Cayman. The full leather interior, as delivered in the RS-60 package, would cost you over $6,000 on a Boxster "S".

Most dealers are not inclined to discount the RS-60 due to its "Limited" status, however the Black top & gray interior could result in a small discount since it is not in as much demand at the Red Interior.

The CD changer takes no room from the front compartment.

The RS-60 is truly a very special Boxster and you should not confuse it with a regular Boxster "S", as there is very little comparison due to the package of upgrades. 10mm lower with the sport suspension, 10mm wider with the wheel spacers, 19" wheels with PS2 Michelin, Porsche Sport Exhaust standard and lots more! When I first took delivery I was underwhelmed. Now that I have over 2,000 miles I am truly impressed. It runs better than my 996 C2 Cab, is faster than my C2 Cab and much more fun to drive than the 996 in general.

bmussatti 08-24-2008 02:34 PM

This RS 60 sold very quickly at RUF in Texas.

Silver/red
<2,200 miles
$62,900 (asking):

http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/showroom.cgi?mode=show&id=152221&d_id=947

Jaxonalden 08-24-2008 03:23 PM

Good to hear your OK, sorry about the car.

Were you planning on getting a new car no matter what? Because by the looks of your car, it shouldn't be totaled. To declare a vehicle a total loss the repairs need to exceed 80% of the current value of the car.

With limited info, your car is worth $45-$50K. 80% of that is $36-$40K, I don't see that kind of damage.

LoveBunny 08-25-2008 01:33 AM

Oh, that picture makes me cringe! It's good to see though that it looks like the driver's door held up pretty well and protected you. I had a Miata pull out on me yesterday that would have hit me in that exact spot if I hadn't been able to swerve around her.

Sorry I don't have much advice about what you are asking though, but it makes sense what others have said that the dealer would be more willing to deal on a car already on the lot.

ejmc11 08-25-2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo
The unfortunate collision happened in Cleveland somewhere? Since moving to NE Ohio (11 years ago now), I decided long ago there are some really crummy drivers around here.

I live in Phoenix part of the year, and am currently out there -- didn't know that they started doing autoxes in Kirtland though, I'll be sure to check it out some time in the future, that's only about a 5 minute drive from my place!

People always think that the drivers in whatever state they live are the worst around.. funny that :)

ejmc11 08-25-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Were you planning on getting a new car no matter what? Because by the looks of your car, it shouldn't be totaled. To declare a vehicle a total loss the repairs need to exceed 80% of the current value of the car.

With limited info, your car is worth $45-$50K. 80% of that is $36-$40K, I don't see that kind of damage.

The car has structural damage to the A pillar and floorboard, and it will never be as good as new again, if it can even be repaired, which is why it is almost certainly going to be totaled. Before tearing into the car and confirming that those two biggies were indeed damaged, the body shop was already estimating over $20k in damage. Both left corners' suspensions are dead, and the right side of the car also has some damage as the Prius pushed me across more than one full lane upon impact, into another car that was turning from the perpendicular road. I also pointed out the fact that the convertible top was tweaked, and most likely damaged from the rear left damage, which is, presumably, at least $5-10k. It was a ridiculously hard hit that did a LOT of damage, to both sides of the car.

It's not that hard to get a lot of $$ worth of damage when all the new parts have the Porsche emblem on them!

And all of the insurance folks I talked to said that the cut-off number is 70-75% of the current value to declare the car a total loss, generally speaking.

jmatta 08-25-2008 07:18 AM

I see lots of parts for sale soon...

Sorry to hear of your incident; it is very unfortunate. Get well soon.