986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Switching from halogen to xenon headlamps (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17999)

Lordblood 08-23-2008 01:11 PM

Switching from halogen to xenon headlamps

Can I switch my normal halogen headlamps for xenon ones? What do I have to do to get it? And can I do it myself?

I'm thinking of giving it xenon headlamps to make it look a bit more premium, and help with visibility, obviously.

RandallNeighbour 08-23-2008 01:38 PM

They make retrifit kits for our cars for $350 or so. A couple of forum members have done this mod.

I looked at it, and decided to find real Porsche Litronics ($$$$) because of the focus issues... those halogens are broader in beam than the xenon bulbs and you typically piss off oncoming drivers with glare (from what I've read).

I see you have the modding bug now. It never ends once you get started :dance:

Lordblood 08-23-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
They make retrifit kits for our cars for $350 or so. A couple of forum members have done this mod.

I looked at it, and decided to find real Porsche Litronics ($$$$) because of the focus issues... those halogens are broader in beam than the xenon bulbs and you typically piss off oncoming drivers with glare (from what I've read).

I see you have the modding bug now. It never ends once you get started :dance:

Well I guess I have to wait till next summer to get in funds for something other than repairs and maintenance.

Mod bug, haha yes I do I want my boxster to look a little bit more unique than the stock Boxs. I don't plan on modding anything under the skin though, I'm focusing on cosmetics at the oment.

RandallNeighbour 08-23-2008 02:56 PM

"I'm focusing on cosmetics..."

Yeah, that's what I said a couple of years back. Now I'm putting on coilovers :D

It's a slippery slope, my fine furry boxster friend :cheers:

Lordblood 08-23-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
"I'm focusing on cosmetics..."

Yeah, that's what I said a couple of years back. Now I'm putting on coilovers :D

It's a slippery slope, my fine furry boxster friend :cheers:

Heh, we'll see one day :P. I plan to sell her in 2 or 3 years anyway, perhaps get an updated Boxster or Z4.

Cloudsurfer 08-23-2008 11:42 PM

I would recommend factory Litronics over one of the eBay "conversion kits." Proper (and improved) optics, legal, and the look significantly updates the car.

Patrick

FrayAdjacent 08-24-2008 09:36 AM

Your options are saving up for factory Litronics (whole headlight assemblies). Sometimes they'll be as low as $1400 for a pair.

Your other option is the conversion kit as mentioned before. They are more than just bulbs. There are ballasts and wiring that need to be installed. It's not too difficult.

I have the factory Litronics. They're nice, but not as bright as other makes HID setups. I've often wondered if swapping the bulbs for some other brand to see what happens... but they're over $100 a pair.

lucky_topher 08-25-2008 01:05 AM

you can pick up a kit for right around $100 with warranty to do that... i did, never looked back :D