986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OMG What just happened? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17995)

Lordblood 08-23-2008 10:47 AM

OMG What just happened?

I got coolant from Porsche themselves, to whom I specified my car and model and year. I used the coolant today to fill the tank, and I had to go to a meeting after that so I went there. On the way back just as I stopped in my garage there was a big crackling noise that lasted about a minute and I stopped the engine. After this there was a small amount of liquid that poured out of the car, it doesn't feel like oil, its much more watery.

I hope this isn't catastrophic, I hope its not the engine giving out, what should I do? It's Saturday so no body shop is open.

kabel 08-23-2008 11:51 AM

Where on the car did the liquid come from?
Is the temp gauge still reading normal cooing level?
Maybe the system burped itself and let out a little overflow?

Lordblood 08-23-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
Where on the car did the liquid come from?
Is the temp gauge still reading normal cooing level?
Maybe the system burped itself and let out a little overflow?

The liquid is right under the engine on the right side, right under where you put in the oil and coolant.

I just started the car up and let it run a little bit, engine heat is still normal. I'm hoping it was just a little overflow, as I did just put in coolant.

Brucelee 08-23-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordblood
The liquid is right under the engine on the right side, right under where you put in the oil and coolant.

I just started the car up and let it run a little bit, engine heat is still normal. I'm hoping it was just a little overflow, as I did just put in coolant.

Overflow or cracked coolant tank, which is very common in the Box.

Either way, you should be fine till Monday.

Lordblood 08-23-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Overflow or cracked coolant tank, which is very common in the Box.

Either way, you should be fine till Monday.

If the coolant tank is cracked, shouldn't more fluids be running down it? Its been running and sitting for over an hour now, and no extra fluids have been lost.

Paul 08-23-2008 12:38 PM

What level is the coolant now?

A good way to check the tank is to lift the carpet in the rear trunk on the right side.

rick3000 08-23-2008 12:45 PM

It's an air bubble. After I topped off my coolant tank, the air bubble causes it to use the coolant overflow above the passenger rear wheel. Unfortunately, all of my coolant drained out, if you level is still okay I wouldn't worry about it.

It is not a problem, or a big deal unless your coolant light flashes or the level is below the min. mark. There is no need to go to a shop if this is the case, because they will charge you and fix nothing, like they did to me.
Relax! :cheers:

Lordblood 08-23-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
What level is the coolant now?

A good way to check the tank is to lift the carpet in the rear trunk on the right side.

A little over the max mark, I'd say 2-3 mm above where the max mark is on the scale.

Lordblood 08-23-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
It's an air bubble. After I topped off my coolant tank, the air bubble causes it to use the coolant overflow above the passenger rear wheel. Unfortunately, all of my coolant drained out, if you level is still okay I wouldn't worry about it.

It is not a problem, or a big deal unless your coolant light flashes or the level is below the min. mark. There is no need to go to a shop if this is the case, because they will charge you and fix nothing, like they did to me.
Relax! :cheers:

Coolant level is absolutely normal, thanks for the tip! I will keep running it, there is no warning lights showing right now. If I spot a problem with the drive or heat, I guess I'll take it in then.

Thanks for the tip, I've been really fussing over it.

Paul 08-23-2008 01:01 PM

The full mark is the level the coolant should be when the car is fully warmed up.

rick3000 08-23-2008 01:03 PM

I know how you feel. I was freaking out when I parked, got out and watched my entire coolant tank drain on to the garage floor.

RandallNeighbour 08-23-2008 01:31 PM

If you are adding coolant, then there's a drain on the system somewhere. Watch it carefully.

I hope it's not your coolant overflow tank. If it is, then I only have four words for you:

Welcome to my world.

coreseller 08-23-2008 01:39 PM

The guy I bought my Boxster from had a similiar episode after topping off the coolant. He freaked and shut the car down and had it towed to the dealership, it turned out the cap was not on correctly. One of the reasons I bought the car from him, VERY cautious.

Lil bastard 08-23-2008 03:21 PM

It's probably not a bad idea to run the car at isdle for a few minutes with the coolant bleed valve open. This valves is under the plate that the coolant and oil fill pipes (they stick through it). Pull both caps and then with a screwdriver, pry up the plate. You'll see the valve, lift up on it to open it, then let it run 5 min. or so, revving occaisionally to force any air through the system to the valve. As the coolant warms, you'll get a little overflow, so be prepared with towels, etc. to keep it out of the trunk. Close valve and replace plate and caps. Run it a day or 2 and then recheck the coolant level.

IMHO, it's probabl;y good to always have the valve open when you add coolant to prevent this, also, it's better to add coolant with the engine running, not Hot of course, but before it heats up.

Lordblood 08-23-2008 06:54 PM

I am planning to bleed the engine tomorrow morning, when I have some sunlight to see. Until then is it ok to drive the car? I need to go get some soup as I've had a terrible headache and fever (made this coolant thing worse on me, I freaked out).

rick3000 08-23-2008 07:59 PM

If you get a coolant light, or the coolant is dripping don't drive it. But if not, I wouldn't worry about driving it. The car sounds fine. :cheers: