Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #1

Air conditioning question ('98 Boxster)

So my sister was fiddling around with the buttons in my '98 Boxster (I told her not to, but she was bored apparently). Anyway we came upon a button that made the air super cool, its the one between the up and down arrow buttons on the air conditioning controls (the one that flows air to your legs and windshield).

I was wondering if having this button on has any big effect on the engine, especially the engine temperature.

Also, I was wondering how I can beat these 90 degree heat with a convertible (I live in the desert so its dry). Maybe I should just wait a few months so the temperature drops to around 80 or 70 during the day.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #2

The button between the up and down arrows is for the center vents (center and side) and prevents air from flowing to the floor and the defroster vents. This won't really make the air colder, but because it's all concentrated to one level may cool the car better and make it seem as if it's colder.

Are you sure you're not talking about the button under the down arrow - a button of circling arrows? Therie is the recirculation button and will make the AC colder because it restricts the introduction of outside air to the system.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
The button between the up and down arrows is for the center vents (center and side) and prevents air from flowing to the floor and the defroster vents. This won't really make the air colder, but because it's all concentrated to one level may cool the car better and make it seem as if it's colder.

Are you sure you're not talking about the button under the down arrow - a button of circling arrows? Therie is the recirculation button and will make the AC colder because it restricts the introduction of outside air to the system.
No I did not touch the furthest bottom switch, but I see what the shape of the button is representing.

If I do the recirculation thing, will I be able to feel anything from the AC with the top down? It would be nice to have a little cold air in the desert here!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
FTD

With the top down, the middle setting feels best to me, blasting more air directly on to me and none sent to the windshield or my feet.
With the top down, recirc benefits are moot. IMO
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
With the top down, the middle setting feels best to me, blasting more air directly on to me and none sent to the windshield or my feet.
With the top down, recirc benefits are moot. IMO
I'll try that today, my sister doesn't like driving with the top down during the day. She has migrain issues, heat induced >_>.