986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pulled my motor today. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17902)

JAAY 08-14-2008 08:15 PM

Pulled my motor today.

Well.. Took the motor out today getting ready for a 3.4. I still have to find one and put the funds together to actually get it. A few questions if anyone happens to know the answers.

I am still going to use the 2.5 tranny, Do I use the 2.5 fly wheel and a 2.5 upgraded sachs clutch?

I need a passanger side fuel rail if anyone has one and I also need a oil dipstick. These were casualties of pulling the motor. :(

There is alot of talk about dropping the new motor down 3/4 of a inch and or C2 mounts? Anyone have photos or have done this yet..

I just want to get all my facts together before I get going.

Thanks
J

geoff 08-14-2008 10:38 PM

Did you read Todd Holyoak's 3.4 Swap PDF writeup?

Thumper 08-15-2008 05:57 AM

Be sure and post some pics. I love seeing them all apart. :)

JAAY 08-15-2008 05:04 PM

LOL..... I'll get some pics up in a few.. I have the motor and tranny on 2 dollies. I have a few shots of that.. Gimme a little while
J

JAAY 08-16-2008 04:50 AM

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_0471-1.jpg

crappy picture of a motor on the floor. :)

Ill take more photos with my camera and not my phone another day.. If anyone wants specific photos, because I know there are not many of those on the forum, let me know.

Sputter 08-16-2008 06:13 AM

How was it to drop? A pita or just a bunch of time?
Any pictures you would like to share would be welcome.

JAAY 08-16-2008 08:49 AM

It was out in about one hour. Really easy to do.. I have pulled many different motors.. This was cake. It is heavy as a mofo though. :) I used a motorcycle jack. You have to lift the car really high to slide it out. I wound up taking it off the motorcycle jack under the car and dragged it out. I do not recommend trying to drag this thing by yourself. I will take more photos on monday with some good detail and captions.

pinzgo 08-16-2008 08:51 AM

Tach and shift light

Shift Light
Somebody can tell me where I find place to plug wire to get RPM pulse for my just added tachometer and shift light. Boxster S 2000.
Thanks for help
Jacques

Adam 08-16-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinzgo
Shift Light
Somebody can tell me where I find place to plug wire to get RPM pulse for my just added tachometer and shift light. Boxster S 2000.
Thanks for help
Jacques

Thread highjacker!~!!! LOL :D

JAAY 08-16-2008 08:12 PM

I held myself back from saying anything on that.. :)

tholyoak 08-17-2008 07:13 AM

I have an extra fuel rail assembly from a 2.5 if you are still looking.
All your other questions have been answered previously on Renntech.

Also it is much easier to remove the AC compressor from the motor rather than separate the lines from the chassis and then have to purge and recharge the entire system.

-Todd

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY
Well.. Took the motor out today getting ready for a 3.4. I still have to find one and put the funds together to actually get it. A few questions if anyone happens to know the answers.

I am still going to use the 2.5 tranny, Do I use the 2.5 fly wheel and a 2.5 upgraded sachs clutch?

I need a passanger side fuel rail if anyone has one and I also need a oil dipstick. These were casualties of pulling the motor. :(

There is alot of talk about dropping the new motor down 3/4 of a inch and or C2 mounts? Anyone have photos or have done this yet..

I just want to get all my facts together before I get going.

Thanks
J

JAAY 08-17-2008 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info... your write up was/will be helpful. Cant the 3.4 be ran with out the butterflies? Just a thought. Also, y do we need the C2 mounts? Does it drop the tranny half lower also? And I would love to pick up the rails from you, I caught mine on something on the way out. Thanks again..

Shoot me an email djmanjay@yahoo.com
J

tholyoak 08-17-2008 03:45 PM

If by the butterfly you mean the dual plenum intake, you can run it without. Early tests on engine swaps using the single plenum 986 manifold demonstrated you will produce about the same hp as a 2.5L and I have no idea why you would not use the 996 intake plenum. You would also have a continuous CEL if you run the 996 DME program without the secondary plenum solenoid installed.

The C2 mounts are needed at the trans end to lower the rear by about the same as the front otherwise the engine assembly will be angled down front to rear.

-Todd

JAAY 08-18-2008 04:16 AM

That is somewhat what I thought. Thanks for the info. One day I will actually get around to doing the swap.

pinzgo 08-18-2008 06:40 PM

shift light

Shift Light

I thank you for detailed answer. It helps.