986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   please help explain how windows op with top (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17877)

pauljsgreen 08-12-2008 05:03 PM

please help explain how windows op with top

even though i've had my teething troubles with my 2000 boxster s, i thought all was ok with my top operation.

however, a friend came round tonight with his S to remove his hardtop. when we operated the roof up, his windows dropped as expected, but when the top was latched the windows went up automatically. i think it was the same lowering the top!!

my windows don't!!! i have to put them up manually both raising and lowering. i've searched long and hard, finding lots of info on windows going down, etc but nothing on them not going up.

could anyone enlighten me on how they're supposed to work, if i have a problem, and if you have any ideas on potential solutions??

again, many thanks in advance
paul

KevinH1990 08-12-2008 07:01 PM

My windows work like yours, and I also have a 2000. Does your friend have a different model year?

Jaxonalden 08-12-2008 07:38 PM

My '04 S will drop the windows about 1/4 inch when the latch is unlocked. No matter where my windows are, once I lock the latch the windows will raise all the way up.

Tool Pants 08-12-2008 07:42 PM

This feature started for model year 2002.

pcar-yvr 08-12-2008 10:05 PM

I have a 2001 (S) and the windows automatically roll-up after latching the roof.

It's a great feature !

Frodo 08-13-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

"This feature started for model year 2002."

Posted by Tool Pants.

Mine's an '01 and it does that too. (Actually, I'm being lazy here...not wanting to run out to the garage in my bathrobe to check. Mine definitely rolls 'em up when the top is latched. I think it drops them a hair when you unlatch it, but I can't absolutely swear to it. Would make sense...it does do that when you start to open the door.)

AUDIOGUY 08-13-2008 04:27 PM

Next time you lower your top, check the center of the windshield pillar where the
latch is. At the point where the hook catches, there is a button that engages the
windows. With the top down, put your finger where the latch would normally go.
If you push the button, the windows should go up... if they dont , then you probably have a bad switch.

Just a thought.

Best of luck!

RandallNeighbour 08-13-2008 05:38 PM

My windows do not go up when I latch the center lock. I now feel deprived. :ah:

Dai 08-13-2008 07:16 PM

I have 01 S and it does roll up and drop down automatically along with the top.

pauljsgreen 08-14-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Next time you lower your top, check the center of the windshield pillar where the
latch is. At the point where the hook catches, there is a button that engages the
windows. With the top down, put your finger where the latch would normally go.
If you push the button, the windows should go up... if they dont , then you probably have a bad switch.

Just a thought.

Best of luck!

thanks for all the replies.

nothing happens when i wiggle the micro switch in the little bug eye panel at the top of the windscreen.

i need to sort the antenna grounding issue up there so i'll take the switch out at that point and have a look.

both cars were 2000 "S" - only difference is mine is a tip with pcm and the other is manual without!

BTW, my windows drop about 4 inches when i unhook the top.

i have applied the top hack to bypass the speed and parking brake checks, but it was definitely acting like that prior to the mod.

cheers
paul

stef 08-14-2008 01:47 PM

My 2006 drops the windows a significant amount when the center latch is opened (about 3x as far as when door is opened/closed), and closes them when the latch is closed or when the top is fully down.

Quickurt 08-14-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef
My 2006 drops the windows a significant amount when the center latch is opened (about 3x as far as when door is opened/closed), and closes them when the latch is closed or when the top is fully down.

My '06 does the same when putting the top up, if the windows are already rolled up (as we do alot). As soon as you hit the button to raise the top, the windows go down about 1.5" before the toneau cover or top begin to move and go back to the full up position as soon as the top is latched or the toneau completes it's journey, whichever happens last. Very nice feature. :dance:

FrayAdjacent 08-14-2008 06:27 PM

01 Boxster here. When I unlatch the top, the windows will drop about 2". When I latch the top, the windows will go all the way up regardless of their starting position.

vipola 08-16-2008 12:25 PM

mine is a 99 and they don't go up either :)