Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #1

Alternator Problem - Searching Porsche Mecanic in PEI, NB, Atlantic Canada, Halifax

Hi all, I'm on a trip on PEI, and this morning I started having an alternator problem. (Always great when you'r at 2000km away from home with the girlfriend). I'm stuck on PEI, and I will try to get CAA towe the car on Monday to a shop to get the alternator changed. The only Official Porsche Dealer in Atlantic Canada is located in Halifax. Would someone by luck (or badluck) know a nice place to bring my car in PEI (Prince Edouard Island) or NB (New Brunswick)? Or if anyone got some tips on where to get a good deal on an alternator around here? My Plan B is to get it towed 320km away up to Halifax to get it to the Porsche Dealer.. I wonder how it normaly cost to get the alternator changed, can they get me a rebuilded at the dealer or do they only sell brand new genuine? Does anyone got any experience (good or bad) with Porsche Halifax?

Thanks alot! I feel a little alone so far from home

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #2

Can't help you with a shop or cost.

The regulator is usually what goes out, and Porsche does not sell just the regulator. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3311

Porsche sells a new or rebuilt alternator, and both are expensive. It is just a Bosch 150 amp alternator used on other German cars. You might try local parts places for a rebuilt one. Here in the US parts stores such as Autozone sells a rebuilt Bosch for around $200.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #3

Just a quick follow up to let you know that the Halifax porsche dealer suggested me to go to the BMW of Moncton in NB that was really closer to me. I found an alternator at CarQuest (with overnight shipping), even the dealer could have it until next week. So It ended up perfect and I had a really really nice service at BMW Moncton, the guy at Porsche of Halifax was really nice too.. I recommand them both to anyone who got some problem in Atlantic Canada

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote