986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sal Zaino and his wax (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17843)

chitowndad 08-10-2008 10:29 AM

Sal Zaino and his wax

So I was going to buy some Zaino Z5 for my black Boxster and I went to the Zaino site only to find out that a $16.95 bottle of Z5 costs $8.95 to ship. I was like WTF so I sent Zaino an email thinking that they wouldn't even answer me but Sal Zaino's answer was "Sorry I have one flat rate for shipping and most people buy several products to offset the costs". I said I only wanted one product and paying >50% of the purchase price for shipping was ridiculous. He refused to budge so I ended up buying Zymol at Auto Zone and it does just as nice a job as Zaino in removing the swirl marks on a black car!

Doesn't that sound ridiculous - why is everyone refusing to service the little guy and only focus on the big ticket sales. If his shipping costs were more in line to the tune of $5 I would have bought it and told 3 friends about the product or even bought more products after I tried the first one. Lamo Sal Zaino!

-Steve

bmussatti 08-10-2008 10:59 AM

Zaino has great products, and Sal Zaino is a very good business man.

Sal will always answer e-mails and phone calls. Even on weekends. 2 years ago I had some small clumps in my Z5 and Zaino immediately sent out a replacement. No questions asked. Sal Zaino donated over $75 worth of door-prize products for out Tail of the Dragon trip last year.

NickCats organized a group buy on Zaino product a few months ago. This was a great idea, and you should watch for this again in the future and stock-up.

Why should Sal Zaino, or any other business, give away shipping costs? I don't work for free, and would encourage you never to do so either. We offer fair value and should be compensated accordingly.

So you were willing to spend $5 and then drove to Auto Zone. I bet you spent more than the difference ($3.95) on gas and your time. Hopefully you at least took the Boxster! :) :) :)

chitowndad 08-10-2008 11:46 AM

LOL :o) You got me! I'll talk to Nick and get in on the next group buy... Yes, buying wax was an excuse to drive the Boxster. Ok, I won't bash Sal Zaino any more!

Here's a picture of my trunk with the swirl marks removed by Zymol. You can see the reflection of my garage!

Sorry, next time I'll shrink the Canvas and make the picture smaller

-Steve

RandallNeighbour 08-10-2008 12:41 PM

You know, my organization ships books out every day and people buy skinny booklets and rail on me for charging a whopping $6.50 on a $4 booklet.

Here's the deal. USPS priority mail is $4.80. Add to that an envelope for 30¢ and the 15 minutes of labor to put the order together and $6.50 is a steal.

So, a bottle that weighs more could easily cost $8 and change to ship and Sal is still losing money if he factors in all the overhead of storing the product and the labor minutes to put it together for the customer.

It's ridiculously expensive to ship things today, especially through UPS. Then there's the cost of handling (labor and paper goods, tape, labels, etc.).

My organization loses about $20k per year to shipping costs we couldn't pass along to customers and the 3% charged by the bank to take a credit card payment vs. a check or cash.

I can't raise my shipping prices or charge an extra fee for credit cards. So, it comes off our bottom line where salaries are drawn.

If I could, I'd be able to buy a new boxster cash every three years.

BTW, there are folks here that would argue that nothing compares to Zaino when used side by side with other products.

ekam 08-10-2008 01:50 PM

Dude... I agree with Zaino. It's much less hassle for him to do flat rate shipping all across as suppose to checking everyone's address and respond to 100s of emails for shipping quote. And he's right... most people will order multiple items from him at a time.

Have you not checked any local stores that sell his stuff?

Plus you drive a Porsche and you're complaining about $2-3. :ah: :D

Frodo 08-10-2008 02:54 PM

Hey chitowndad, I'm not sure how many swirls the Zymol removed (do they even make a swirl remover?...I suspect you had few to none to begin with). BUT---that is a remarkable pic. As close to a mirror finish as I think I've ever seen.

Nice work.

chitowndad 08-10-2008 04:37 PM

Ok, I take back everything that I said or complained about Sal Zaino - I'll pick up a bottle from him next time and eat the shipping costs which means I'll have to eat at Taco Bell for a few days that week! LOL

I did ask him if he sold his products retail and he said no he didn't.

I apologize for the enormous picture so I resized it to this version. Yep, my Boxster shines like a baby's rear end!

Bobiam 08-11-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitowndad
Ok, I take back everything that I said or complained about Sal Zaino - I'll pick up a bottle from him next time and eat the shipping costs which means I'll have to eat at Taco Bell for a few days that week! LOL

I did ask him if he sold his products retail and he said no he didn't.

I apologize for the enormous picture so I resized it to this version. Yep, my Boxster shines like a baby's rear end!

Oh...good .... at first I thought that you painted a bunch of garden tools on the trunk of your Boxster. But it's only reflection!

Perfectlap 08-11-2008 10:56 AM

Yeah but Zaino's not taking something into account at all.

Many of those purchasing that one Zaino item, you're spray in
this instance, are first time Zaino customers. By setting up a barrier
to entry in the form of shipping costs he's lost a customer to another
brand. This a pretty narrow view, particularly during a tough economy.

In this day and age of computers he should build in a "first time exemption".
I'm sure his own data proves that the average Zaino customer
is repeat customer.

I've been buying detailing products long enough to know that
an enthusiast will often make a big jump in quality from the off
the shelf stuff to the far more concentrated but much more
expensive 'boutique' brands. For the enthusiast this like a "big revelation".
What most enthusiasts don't realize is that boutique brands are
almost identical in terms of end results. But at the same time,
pricing for boutique brands are all over map. Zaino are one of the
more expensive brands I've tried, I can get similar results with a
few others at lower cost. That's a lesson most enthusiasts will
NOT learn. By charging a first time customer 50% in shipping as
you put it, he's opening the door for you to go with a duragloss or
FK1 both of whom charge $5 flat rate no matter the size of the order.

These guys have to learn to be more flexible. The competition in
the boutique brands market is plentiful and the big over the counter
brands (Mothers, Meguiars) are catching up fast.
When something works people tend to stick with it, they're not inclined
to experiment with other brands once a great result is achieved. That's
a big advantage that Zaino is risking in this instance. I bet you if he
packaged small samples like FK1 do and sent them first class mail people
would order the full size versions on a bigger order and not quibble with
$9 shipping.

Mike_Yi 08-11-2008 11:31 AM

Chitowndad, where are you in Chicago? I know there's a shop down in Aurora that sells Zaino. Of course, they charge a bit more as they're eating the shipping costs, but since they buy in bulk, it's minor. If you ever want to buy Zaino, let me know as that's what I use. I'd be willing to add a bottle for your needs.

Keep in mind though, that you really should be using at least two Zaino products. You should be using Z2 or Z5, but you should also use Z6 or Z8 in between coats. If you are going to do multiple coats, you probably want ZFX also so you can do two coats in a day. Zaino really shines (pun intended) when you get around 5 coats on. Their wash, Z7 is really good too.

chitowndad 08-11-2008 01:58 PM

Hi Mike,
Actually I'm working in Aurora in the perimeter of the Fox Valley mall. What's the name of the place you're thinking of?

Thanks,
-Steve

Mike_Yi 08-12-2008 07:53 AM

Damn. Of course, now I cannot find it. The forum that I learned about the shop on is long gone. I'm pretty sure it was located on Clow Creek Drive which might actually be in Plainfield. However, I don't know if it is still there. I'll keep looking and see if I can find it.

I called Zaino and they said they used to have a local distributor in Chicago, but he moved. I don't think this shop was actually a distributor though. I think they just bought in bulk and resold. I'll have to look around some Corvette forums.

FTD 08-12-2008 11:05 AM

I thought I read, on this forum, that the technology in body paint of the last 10 years is such that the glamour products don't make a difference over off the shelf products. I searched but can't find the comments I am thinking of. Maybe someone here can respond? I have been using Zaino for a few years and had the idea that once it is used I would try some lesser expensive products.

Perfectlap 08-12-2008 01:25 PM

Yeah ^ I rememeber this too. I believe it was regarding clear coats and modern paints vs. single stage paint that Porsche used to use. The jist of it was that with
only a clay bar and a decent seasonal wax you can keep the paint looking showroom for a decade with ease. No need to buy 7 different products for the paint.

Mike_Yi 08-12-2008 03:49 PM

That may be, but I can tell you that my Firehawk looks damn fine with several coats
of Zaino on it. Not only that, but it takes me so damn long to polish the car (it took
me 7 hours just to wash it today, and I didn't really do the wheels) that I don't do it
often. So having a product that I can put on every six months makes the cost worth
it. When that car is clean, you wouldn't believe how much attention it gets. Two
years ago I went to the hardware store and on the way back I got a thumbs up
from a guy who much have been 85. I attribute a most of that to the color, but a lot
of the credit goes to the gloss that the Zaino keeps on it.

And I just have to ask, how much did you spend on your car? How much are we talking about for a quality product to protect that investment? It's a bit like the octane argument. Most of us spent a pretty good amount of money on these cars, so why not treat them right?

Frodo 08-12-2008 04:50 PM

No offense, fella (Really! Just curious!), but how does one take 7 hours to wash a vehicle (assuming it's not a 747 or a deuce and a half)??

chitowndad 08-12-2008 05:39 PM

Frodo that was funny.

I can wash and wax my car in 1.5 hours. That's the most amount of time that my wife and kids will give me before they are asking for something or a drive somewhere.

If anyone knows of the place in Aurora that sells Zaino let me know.

Thanks,
-Steve

Mike_Yi 08-12-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo
No offense, fella (Really! Just curious!), but how does one take 7 hours to wash a vehicle (assuming it's not a 747 or a deuce and a half)??

Well, you start by moving the car out of the garage and into the driveway. Then you get all your stuff ready. Wet the car. Start at the top and begin washing. Wash the top, the windshield, back window, door windows and mirrors. Rinse. Rear spoiler is next. Rinse. Wet car to ensure it hasn't dried and left water spots. Hood. Left side front fender. Rinse. Left door. Rinse. Wet car. Right front fender. Rinse. Right door. Rinse and rewet car. Left rear fender. Rinse. Right rear fender. Rinse. Wet car. Rear deck and tail lights. Rinse. Rear bumper. Rinse. Wet car. Front bumper. Rinse. Front bumper. Rinse. Wet Car. Front bumper. (Does anybody know of a good way to see bug guts once you've started washing a car?) Rinse. Front Bumper. Rinse. Wet Car. Underside of hood. Rinse. Wet car. Engine bay. Rinse. Inside of right door. Rinse. Wet car. Insides of left door. Rinse. Inside of rear hatch. Rinse. Wet car. Rest for a minute.

Jack up the front end. Wet car. Remove both front wheels. Refill wash bucket. Wet car. Left inner fender, suspension and brakes. Rinse. Right inner fender, suspension and brakes. Rinse. Wet car. Left front wheel. Left front tire. Rinse. Wet car. Right front wheel. Right front tire. Rinse. Wet car. Left rear wheel and tire (pull them off tomorrow). Rinse. Right rear wheel and tire. Rinse. Wet car.

Dry the whole damn thing. Keep drying. Keep drying. Keep drying. Put the front wheels back on. Clean bucket and wheel brush. Move hose. Pull car very slowly (to avoid splashing any standing water) back into garage.

<whew> My right arm is sore. But she looks brilliant! I still need to clean all the wheels better, clean in the rear inner wheel wells and brakes, wipe it down with Z6, then put on a coat or two of Z5 tomorrow. Then, if I have time, I need to vacuum the interior and clean the inside of the windows. Not sure if I'll get it all done this week.

FWIW, the quickest I've ever washed it was about 3.5 hours, thought that was a pretty sloppy job. I washed the Boxster (with my wife's help) today in about 45 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't take as much care as I did with the other car.

Rob-00BoxsterS 08-13-2008 02:58 AM

^^^^^

Mike,

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you so I hope this does not come out that way but that is the third time that I have seen on this forum that you have talked down about your Porsche in favor of your Pontiac.

It's great to have pride in everything you own. I'm sure your Firebird is very nice. No need to downplay the box to make it better. :cheers:

Just my opinion.....

Rob

Frodo 08-13-2008 03:25 AM

Quote:

"Well, you start by moving the car out of the garage and into the driveway. Then you get all your stuff ready. Wet the car. Start at the top and begin washing. Wash the top, the windshield, back window, door windows and mirrors. Rinse. Rear spoiler is next. Rinse. Wet car to ensure it hasn't dried and left water spots. Hood. Left side front fender. Rinse. Left door. Rinse. Wet car. Right front fender. Rinse. Right door. Rinse and rewet car. Left rear fender. Rinse. Right rear fender. Rinse. Wet car. Rear deck and tail lights. Rinse. Rear bumper. Rinse. Wet car. Front bumper. Rinse. Front bumper. Rinse. Wet Car. Front bumper. (Does anybody know of a good way to see bug guts once you've started washing a car?) Rinse. Front Bumper. Rinse. Wet Car. Underside of hood. Rinse. Wet car. Engine bay. Rinse. Inside of right door. Rinse. Wet car. Insides of left door. Rinse. Inside of rear hatch. Rinse. Wet car. Rest for a minute.

Jack up the front end. Wet car. Remove both front wheels. Refill wash bucket. Wet car. Left inner fender, suspension and brakes. Rinse. Right inner fender, suspension and brakes. Rinse. Wet car. Left front wheel. Left front tire. Rinse. Wet car. Right front wheel. Right front tire. Rinse. Wet car. Left rear wheel and tire (pull them off tomorrow). Rinse. Right rear wheel and tire. Rinse. Wet car.

Dry the whole damn thing. Keep drying. Keep drying. Keep drying. Put the front wheels back on. Clean bucket and wheel brush. Move hose. Pull car very slowly (to avoid splashing any standing water) back into garage.

<whew> My right arm is sore. But she looks brilliant! I still need to clean all the wheels better, clean in the rear inner wheel wells and brakes, wipe it down with Z6, then put on a coat or two of Z5 tomorrow. Then, if I have time, I need to vacuum the interior and clean the inside of the windows. Not sure if I'll get it all done this week.

FWIW, the quickest I've ever washed it was about 3.5 hours, thought that was a pretty sloppy job. I washed the Boxster (with my wife's help) today in about 45 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't take as much care as I did with the other car."

Posted by Mike_Yi.

Wow. You're dedicated, I'll give you that.

If I spent that much time just cleaning up, I'd NEVER get around to claying, polishing, waxing, etc.

...and I'd probably only wash her once every two or three years.

Maybe there needs to be an Olympic event created for guys like you. "Men's Individual Car Wash Marathon", something like that. You'd be our Michael Phelps.

My hat's off to you.

I'll leave you to the task at hand (addressing Rob's comment).