986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   986forum.com Tips (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17841)

Jeph 08-10-2008 09:20 AM

986forum.com Tips

I discovered something a few months back and it has improved my forum efficiency by leaps and bounds! Now I want to share it with you. (Do I sound like an infomercial yet?)

Use the "New Posts " link in the horizontal menu at the top. It shows you only the posts that are new or updated since your last visit (or current visit even). It saves time by keeping you from checking out each section, then pressing the back button and going to the next section and so on.

Another good link is the "Subscribe to this Thread" in the Thread Tools menu, which is just above the 1st post in a thread. If you post a question or comment in a specific thread, it emails you if some one has responded. That keeps you from repeatedly coming back to the site to see if anyone has answered your question or validated your opinion.

Got any tips, tricks, or things that have helped you out? Post them here!

Jeph 08-10-2008 08:44 PM

C'mon, some one at least tell me they tried using the "New Posts" feature as a result of this thread.

I'm telling you, it makes reading new posts and comments so much faster! Am I the only one that cares about efficiency 'round here?

rick3000 08-10-2008 09:58 PM

I'd say your post was informative. But I already new about those features. :cheers:

angman 08-10-2008 10:29 PM

I'm stupid AND lazy, so those two tips help. Thanks

Brucelee 08-11-2008 06:35 AM

Thanks for the tips!

:)

NickCats 08-11-2008 07:56 AM

Jeph,

Thanks for the heads up on the "New Posts" feature !

Nick

Quickurt 08-12-2008 04:50 AM

Thanks Jeph,
Both of those are great tips. I sometimes don't feel like dropping by because I've spent too much time searching for something and am not in the mood for another search on things of interest here. :(

RandallNeighbour 08-12-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angman
I'm stupid AND lazy, so those two tips help. Thanks

That's actually a good combo.

Being stupid and highly motivated lands you in a hospital or jail cell most of the time. Being smart and lazy keeps you from moving out of your parent's house and you probably have far too many Star Wars action figures in your bedroom.

So, being stupid and lazy is a great combination and I am right there with you! :cheers:

Jeph, thanks for that tip about the "new posts." I did not know it would track my viewing habits and only show me threads I had not looked at recently. I just skim the front page twenty or thirty times a day to see the thread progressions...after all, I must keep my post count high or yet another person will surpass my number (thanks for nothing Bill!)