Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #21

996 headlights and red/clear for the rears. My car is black and I just like the simplicity of the looks.

jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #22

With Amber, Without Amber

With Guards Red, I initially didn't mind the amber at all, but now that I've de-ambered, I think it was a definite appearance upgrade.

Front - With Amber

Front - Without Amber

Rear - With Amber

Rear - Without Amber (painted bumperettes were a big improvement as well)

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #23

Most feel that it's an instant way to modernize the exterior, but it seems color dependent. Some colors like red, yellow, green & blue almost HAVE to have clear lenses to look up-to-date. I'm not so sure about black, white & silver.

I have a neighbor with an Arctic Silver 2.5 that's been de-ambered & I honestly can't say that his looks better or more modern than mine. Maybe it's because he has 16's. If he had 18's too, it might be a more accurate comparison. I would consider them if they were reasonable! Every pair of headlights I saw on eBay was $900+. That's the same cost as a Revo Flash.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #24

Seal Gray and Amber for me.
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #25

[QUOTE=Thumper]With Guards Red, I initially didn't mind the amber at all, but now that I've de-ambered, I think it was a definite appearance upgrade.

Thumper, i like those painted bumperettes. Did you have those done up at Bumperplugs.com? I was thinking about this, just 275 seemed a little costly, but the finished product looks great!
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #26

Yep, I had Eric at Bumperplugs paint my bumperettes. He did an excellent job. He is pricey. Not only does he charge $275, but there is also an additional $300 core charge that he refunds quickly when he receives your old bumperettes. You just ship them back in the box that he ships you the painted ones in. My wife thought I was crazy (she liked the black ones) until I put the painted ones on and she quickly changed her opinion.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Yep, I had Eric at Bumperplugs paint my bumperettes. He did an excellent job. He is pricey. Not only does he charge $275, but there is also an additional $300 core charge that he refunds quickly when he receives your old bumperettes. You just ship them back in the box that he ships you the painted ones in. My wife thought I was crazy (she liked the black ones) until I put the painted ones on and she quickly changed her opinion.
Again, pictures say 1000 words and they look great, but in your opinion, how is fit and finish of the paint up close? Does it blend nicely?

I liked my bumper plugs, but these are a little larger, thus will be able to see differences in paint. My existing paint is pretty glossy as my car has always been a garage queen....
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #28

Are there metal poles holding the fence up?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #29

The paint match was perfect and the finish glossy smooth. I mean he really did an excellent job. They are absolute perfection. I could not find a single flaw in the finish, even looking at all the edges that would normally be hidden or hard to see. If you can stomach the cost, you definitely get what you paid for.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Are there metal poles holding the fence up?
Yep. Galvanized metal poles. Never rot, never warp out of shape.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #31
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
I mean he really did an excellent job.
If someone is on the fence about BumperPlugs I just wanted to agree with Thumper on the quality of their work. I've had my Bumperettes for 3+ years and they still look as good as the day I got them.

No affiliation, but they just happen to be located in Charlotte. The couple of items that I've bought I picked up in person from Eric's office. What a sight to see all of the beautiful painted Porsche parts in various colors waiting to be packed and shipped!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #32

I have to vote for amber on black. The 987 doesn't have the amber lower half headlights, so that helps, I would definitely de-amber those!
I'd like to black out the grilles in my rad openings and smoke the fogs when I get my Cayman side grilles painted and put in, but I'm still on the fence on that one.

Thumper, you have the best damn siggy I've ever seen!!
If you ever saw me drive my avatar, you'd be like my old racing buddies. Every time I see one, the first question is, "You're still alive?!"
Old 08-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
My amber has never bothered me. I'm not saying de-ambered looks bad, but it doesn't look good enough to me to worry about changing the color. And my car is only 5 months old so I don't see how it could make the car look old.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
My amber has never bothered me. I'm not saying de-ambered looks bad, but it doesn't look good enough to me to worry about changing the color. And my car is only 5 months old so I don't see how it could make the car look old.

Youre wheels look great.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #35

Quote:
I could not find a single flaw in the finish, even looking at all the edges that would normally be hidden or hard to see..
That's what i was getting at..edges and transitions are what i was concerned about. Yeah, that's pretty anal, but I think I'll pick some up now as your pictures have sold me.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #36

Hi, I like the amber look on my car and don't think i'll de-amber for now, but if i ever do, i'll go with the smoked look.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #37

i agree with all of you including Bunny....I never had anything against my ambers, thought they were great....picked up the clears and held them up to the car and debated for weeks....the day I put them on...I will never regret....I think the clears would look great on your car bunny.....

as for the others, if I had a 986...I think they look great with the litronics but it's a lot of $$$$
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #38

As my Boxster is black, I was ok with the amber until I started seeing the de-ambered pics. Big difference!

Is clear and red the general consensus for tails? I saw these smoke and red ones on eBay and kind of like the way they look on the black car:

Smoke / Red
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkiersz
I saw these smoke and red ones on eBay and kind of like the way they look on the black car:

Smoke / Red
I like the idea of smoked taillights, but the LEDs make them look too . . . ricer.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #40

I have the clear on the top and red on the bottom. The yellow shining through is from the sun. I like this combo. My .02

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.

Last edited by JAAY; 01-22-2009 at 09:58 AM.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote