Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
engine "Popping" after turned off

After my car is turned off i get a sort of "popping" sound for a good 20 or so minutes.. all if my cars have done this (just not as long)so i havnt put much thought of what it could be and just figured it was normal... does anyone know what the source of it is? sorry for lack of education!!!!

PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

It's simply the cooling and contracting of the parts of the engine and exhaust system. Different parts contract at different rates, so they rub against each other as they drop down in temperature.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #3

I well remember the first months of Porsche ownership. Every single little thing the car did worked me up! AC condensation dripping (normal), the cats popping as the cooled (normal) the smell of burning oil from the seeping valve covers (normal in many boxsters, sadly) ... all freaked me out!

You'll get used to it, we promise!

Do some thread searches though... most everything you will have questions about has been discussed on this forum repeatedly. Answers come faster when doing searches vs. waiting for someone to reply to you.

BTW, in a couple of years, if you keep your car, you'll be asking how to set up a full race suspension and redo your interior in leather and swap engines to get a bigger one and put on Carrera rims, and....

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote