986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Official 986 Fuel Survey (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17789)

Jeph 08-04-2008 09:49 PM

Official 986/987 Fuel Survey

All results are anonymous, so we won't judge you for using the cheap stuff.

gregdacat 08-05-2008 02:47 AM

We need more choices. Where I live Speedway/SuperAmerica and Marathon sell 92 octane, which is what I use. That is not one of the choices. So, I rounded up.

AUDIOGUY 08-05-2008 03:48 AM

If I can get 93 great.... most of the time I think 92 is normal here. Sunoco has 93.
I think what I buy at Shell is 92... correct me if I am wrong. I really only drive about
a hundred or so miles a week, so gas hasnt been that big of a problem so far. It is noticeably more expensive. In the beginning of the year, fill ups cost $37 to $44. In the last 2 months upwards of $58.

I can imagine how the Hummer guys are doing!

ekam 08-05-2008 05:21 AM

I use Sunoco 94.

Samson 08-05-2008 05:47 AM

I used to get 93 at BP, but over the past year they have been about $.30/more gallon compared to the rest of the stations in town. I stick to Shell 91 these days.

Perfectlap 08-05-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
If I can get 93 great.... most of the time I think 92 is normal here. Sunoco has 93.
I think what I buy at Shell is 92... correct me if I am wrong. I really only drive about
a hundred or so miles a week, so gas hasnt been that big of a problem so far. It is noticeably more expensive. In the beginning of the year, fill ups cost $37 to $44. In the last 2 months upwards of $58.

I can imagine how the Hummer guys are doing!

really? I don't think I've ever visited a gas station in NJ where 93 wasn't on the menu. And only once do I ever recall having to use 92 (Gulf). I only used a couple of gallons.
I'm generally suspicious of these guys of these refiners actually selling you what they say they are selling you. Do the state regulators actually check every trailer?
Twenty five cents on each gallon multiplied by millions of gallons every day is a great oppurtunity to make a great deal of money by being dishonest. I mean these are the guys who refuse to install machinery in the pumps that guarantee that you will get a gallon of fuel when you pay for a gallon. A "hot gas" problem that allows them to rake in hundreds of millions if not billions of profits.

bmussatti 08-05-2008 06:20 AM

I have always used 93 octane. I also try to buy gas without ethanol. I found a Mobil station in Wisconsin that has 93 octane and 0% ethanol. They charge a little extra, but the prices are still lower than the Chicago area gas prices. Plus I get slightly better gas mileage. The station is on my weekly return route back home.

Don't forget our engines are very high compression ratios...I think 11:1. So, high octane is pretty critical. The engine could go "booom"! Not likely, but it can happen. Just not worth the risk.

mikefocke 08-05-2008 08:27 AM

Porsche says you can use 90-93 in a 986

Page 174 owner's Manual. 93 preferred.

The lower you go the less power and mileage. But in normal driving, 91 isn't going to hurt...91 is the best I can find around NC (and their mid-grade is 89, not on the survey). In my wife's Acura, I alternate 91 and 89. In the P-car, since it sees so few miles, I do stick with 91 so far but I wouldn't hesitate to mix in a little 89 on a flat ground long trip.

kegman 08-05-2008 10:48 AM

over here in the UK, the normal unleaded is 96 ron with the premium running at 99 ron, but boy do we pay for it......currently works out at about $11 a gallon :-(

986Porsche986 08-05-2008 10:48 AM

I use 91 because thats the highest I can get here in Phoenix AZ. I would
never use 87, only in an emergency. :cheers:

aBsOlUt 08-05-2008 11:37 AM

93 only.

I've heard numerous analysis for both sides. Some swear it does not do any better some and some swear it is an amazing difference in power and helps for the life of the engine (Better combustion etc...).

But just because the Porsche says so in the manual and the gas cap I put 93.

They must know better...

70Sixter 08-05-2008 11:51 AM

I've never put in anything but 93, but as others said some 91 won't hurt - especially in highway cruise mode. With knock sensors there is little chance of ping or pre-detonation anyway.

I've also come to fear that with high gas prices some cheaper gasoline companies are cutting additives to offer lower prices. Check out this website for Top Tier brands.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

bigb 08-05-2008 12:37 PM

91 is the highest available where I am, so that is what I put. When I'm in Chicago, I put 93 in my (other) car.

Mike_Yi 08-05-2008 12:41 PM

I've always used 93 in my Firehawk and will continue to do so. I will also only use 93 in the Boxster. It's only a couple of cents a gallon. Since it looks like crude prices are coming down, I expect gas prices will follow shortly.

Quickurt 08-05-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I've always used 93 in my Firehawk and will continue to do so. I will also only use 93 in the Boxster. It's only a couple of cents a gallon. Since it looks like crude prices are coming down, I expect gas prices will follow shortly.

Regular was down to $3.81 around Jacksonville, today.
I Will only use 93 becasue I have proven, beyond a doubt with my DD that I lose money by going to mid-grade. I won't try it in the Box. If I can't afford to run premium in the Box, I can't afford to drive it anyway.
Funny how the demonrats are trying to maintain the lie that drilling for more oil won't affect the price, yet as America does no more than demand drilling for our own oil, the price drops.
How'd everyone like the big F*ck You Nancy Pelosi gave the whole country Friday? :troll:

Mike_Yi 08-05-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
How'd everyone like the big F*ck You Nancy Pelosi gave the whole country Friday? :troll:

Got a link? I hadn't heard. Actually, maybe PM me as that's quite OT.

LoveBunny 08-05-2008 05:40 PM

Are you asking just for 986 or 987 too? I use whatever the highest is, don't know if it's always 93.

nola911 08-05-2008 06:10 PM

I think most here will agree with me...

We own and impractical sportscars that are not cheap to run or maintain. IS the 1.50 extra per fill up really preventing you from using the best quality product you can? This is like using cheap tires. they may work almost as well and you may never have a blowout.. but why risk it to save 50 dollars per year?

LoveBunny 08-05-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxferran

We own and impractical sportscars that are not cheap to run or maintain. IS the 1.50 extra per fill up really preventing you from using the best quality product you can? This is like using cheap tires. they may work almost as well and you may never have a blowout.. but why risk it to save 50 dollars per year?

That's basically how I look at it.

fragdude 08-05-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxferran

Agree.

Also as stated before, the knock sensor senses the difference in fuel grade after a bit has run through and the engine beings to/shows signs of knocking. Why buy an expensive performance car that is somewhat highly strung and cheap out on gas?

rick3000 08-05-2008 09:47 PM

Why isn't 85 octane on the list? I always use that. :D

I always buy premium but that is normally 91 which the highest you can get in my area. Occasionally I will find 93. :cheers:

9eighty6 08-06-2008 11:11 AM

I always use the best fuel I can get my hands on. I don't think it's worth using cheap gas in the end. If they reccomend it, I use it.

Quickurt 08-06-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Got a link? I hadn't heard. Actually, maybe PM me as that's quite OT.

The big F U Pelosi gave us all was shutting down the congress, turning off the lights and cameras and taking off, instead of having a debate or vote on the energy plan. As of Yesterday, the 30, or so, republicans are still there calling on the democrats to come back and do something.
Now, I have a problem with the republicans doing nothing when they had a majority, but that was also before 4.00 a gallon gas and a majority of Americans telling the congress to go drill more oil.