Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

'00 Boxster Seats

The seats in my '00 Boxster S that I've had for 8 months have become more and more uncomfortable. I am not that big (5-10, 190) but I can't take more than a hundred miles without wanting to stop. I know the cushioning is pretty much gone, but I also feel that the back is not wide enough. Enough of my crying.

Oh wise ones, should I look at replacing the seats or should I have them redone? Money IS an issue and my garage queen isn't going to a track anytime soon (unless to watch).

Any insight is greatly appreciated

ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

i often drive my dad's 2000 2.7 boxster.

as it's not my daily driver - I notice the seats when I get in the car. I have always felt his seats were too narrow.

I am 5' 9" and weigh 180. You and I are very similar in size - and I'm experiencing the same thing. When I drive his car, it's only to zip around locally, driving for fun - not commuting long distances...so I can't say how they feel on a long ddrive...but I do notice, when I first sit in the car, that the side bolster are very firm and really grab my sides.

it's not super comfy...but my daily driver has comfy flat wide seats...so I really notice it. not sure if the seats came in different version that year that were "normal" and "sporty" - i.e. - maybe your seats and my dad's seats are a tighter/more sporty version that grab more??? or were the seats just tight?

i guess since it's a sports car - that's what you get!

personally - I like it...but i'mnot using the car to commute 100 miles..

let us know what you find out!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #3

I have the "sport seats" in my 2000 2.7 and they are great.

2000 986
1979 911SC coupe
Raybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Replacing your seats with anything comfortable or sporty or having them redone is gonna cost you a pretty penny. Expect to pay a couple of grand to get them redone one way or another.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 AM   #5

I find the seats in my'02 S to be quite comfortable. When I purchased the car, I drove it back 1k miles from Texas in a day and a half with no fatigue. I'm not that much taller/heavier than you.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #6

During the drive

have you fiddled with the height, angle, steering wheel setting to find one that is at least different if not more comfortable. I have an '01 and use different seat positions in town (closer and more upright...away from the roll bar) and on the road (further back and tilted). I'm about 6", been up to 230 and am long waisted so my legs are probably about your length. Happy to take it on 300 mile trips, no occasion yet to do longer ones. I generally stop every 2 hours or so (140-150 miles) just to stretch and potty break...I'm 65. Same trip in SUV or Acura...same approach.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #7

I have never had a problem with my sport seats in my 00 S. My friend has an 00 S also but with the other seats and they suck in my opinion, I was uncomfortable as soon as I sat down.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #8

Anyone have pictures handy of sport seats vs "regular seats" mentioned above?
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #9

If your seats are worn out how many miles are on your car? Have the shocks/springs been replaced?
Much of the road shock/vibration makes its way up your seat and back when the suspension is shot. you'll feel every seam in the road...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #10

It appears that I have "partial" leather seats...I am gonna go to some upholstery places and get some quotes on having them redone. Maybe a nice snakeskin in a Leopard pattern...

I just had a lot of service done to the car...it is mechanically in great shape now. I am assuming that the previous owner(s) were not of small stature (to be PC) Who knows...when I had the $6,000 worth of service being done, the mechanic pointed out to me where a previous owner had attempted to install an "undercar" neon lighting kit. crap was glued everywhere and wires were laying around but they never got it connected.

Next thing will be the top...then the stereo (any suggestions are appreciated..the original was taken out in lieu of something I think that cost 18.88) headlights..

Last edited by ocdbilly; 08-06-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: additional
ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
Anyone have pictures handy of sport seats vs "regular seats" mentioned above?
Turbo23dawg.....dont have pictures, but if you have ever sat in the sport seats, very tight on the sides (I am 6'0"- 175lbs) VERY tight on the sides. the "regular seats" are well...just kinda regular seats...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #12

I'm 6'4" and currently running about 210 lbs. I don't have any issues with the seats in my '03. While I wouldn't call them "luxurious" they are certainly well suited to the task of fast driving. I routinely drive 1 - 2 hours at a time and after a little acclimating to the seat (maybe 10 minutes) I settle in and find them quite comfortable for the balance of the drive. More comfortable, in fact, than my ald Audi A4.

gball is offline   Reply With Quote