Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #1

plastic window headache

i am new to the forum, have read many of the posts on failing plastic windows and have a torn window on my boxster s due to putting the top down during cool temps. i am frustrated because duct tape on my porsche is lame, and i have to spend about $1400 for a new top. any suggestions on how to research my next move would be appreciated.

jaxbchjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #2

ebay top from GAHH with glass window. You can probably buy it and get it installed for around $1000. Given how expensive repairs are on this car its a real bargain. I paid $600 for some on my little Miata. do a search and you'll find lots of info.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
olly986

Jax the cheapest way is still changing the plastic window part by a good aftermarket guy, I know here it cost around 500 euro and two days work, follow on some previous threads, some lads in the states do a good jobs from what we read before
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #4

plastic window part 2

i have asked around the dealership and other shops in town that do replacement tops, all of them said it would tough to match the same stitch pattern to just replace the plastic window and that it would be better to replace the entire top. i wondered if that was just so i would spend more $$. thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #5

I had a local LA dealer (McKenna) take care of the split in my rear vinyl recently.

The work was outsourced, but it was exemplary. I do not recall the cost as my wife took care of everything while I was away on business. I never asked but can find out. They took out the old one and stitched a new one in. Looks like brand new!
bimmerbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #6

There's a guy down here in OC that does the work. I have his contact info at home and will post it for you later. He said he does a lot of this work for dealers. His charge is a bit over $500 to replace the plastic window, mentioning that the high cost reflects the fact that he's got to remove the whole top in order to put the window in.

I think I'm going to save up and get a new top with glass as I'm afraid I'll only tear the plastic window again. Besides, no matter how careful you are, the plastic will eventually get scratched or marred from normal use.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #7

bite the bullet...

My suggestion is to get a new top..either plastic or glass..as my friend says..don't buy a porsche unless you can afford the maintenance or atleast don't ******************** about it.....

doc
:ah:
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #8

glass vs. plastic?

thanks to all for the torn plastic window tips. good call, bite the bullet indeed. since i have decided to buy a new top, now the question is to go with the original plastic window or one with a glass window. naturally, i dig the idea of the glass window but figured if porsche had the technology at the time my car was made (2001), they would have put a glass rear window in the car. i wonder if the glass window would comprimise the rest of the mechanical components with regards to the way the top operates (fit when top is down, or causing added wear and tear on canvas).
Old 02-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
My suggestion is to get a new top..either plastic or glass..as my friend says..don't buy a porsche unless you can afford the maintenance or atleast don't ******************** about it.....

doc

NICE Friend.......
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbchjak
thanks to all for the torn plastic window tips. good call, bite the bullet indeed. since i have decided to buy a new top, now the question is to go with the original plastic window or one with a glass window. naturally, i dig the idea of the glass window but figured if porsche had the technology at the time my car was made (2001), they would have put a glass rear window in the car. i wonder if the glass window would comprimise the rest of the mechanical components with regards to the way the top operates (fit when top is down, or causing added wear and tear on canvas).

Jax Search the treads : Convertible top This will help you in you journey ...

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #11

Thumbs up Kind of harsh

Hey There Jax Beach!

I've seen some great feedback and suggestions around this question, common to those of us that share the love for the Boxster...up until the end when it seemed to turn to Jerry Springer.

Good luck to you.
Chris Klinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #12

what up doc?

yeah dude, it wasn't a matter of not being able to afford my porsche with regards to maintenance, rather trying to find the best solution to my plastic window problem. love his sarcasm bro. thanks chris!
short shifter
18 inch design wheels
tow hitch, kidding
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #13

Plastic Window

I have the same problem on a 2000 with a split plastic window but aren't there issues with a new top with a glass window and access to the engine? Glass would be nice but easy access for service has to be considered. If the window is replaced with plastic are there issues with sealing to prevent leeks?

Last edited by cschleif; 02-12-2006 at 08:54 AM.
cschleif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh

doc
I assume when you have issues or need maintenance parts and service you just head straight for the dealership. You don't flinch when the bill is 3 times what you could have paid had you asked a few questions and searched out a better resolution to your problem. All because you own a PORSCHE!?!?!?! I expect to never see you asking for help on these boards since your friend says it's not OK to search out a deal and ask questions...you drive a Porsche...you can afford it... :ah:
Old 02-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #15

Sorry to all for my sarcasm....esp. jaxbchjak. hope you found the answers that you were looking for.

doc
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbchjak
From what I understand and see, given my new glass top, the top should fold like a parallelogram, which would safely encase the glass. Now about the latch, that's another story as I have to adjust the hinge as the top goes up. I'm not complaining about this factor so far, as I'm waiting for the top to run it's trial period.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #17

As you may have read from other threads, I too have similar problems with my rear plastic window. In addition to the benefits of not having the window split again and separate from the top again, you should consider fogging of your rear window. I live in Florida, and during the summer my plastic window is fogged for most of the morning. I'm looking foward to having a defroster/heater for the rear window.

I'm ordering a rear window with glass from GAHH Monday. I would recommend he same for you.

good luck

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote