Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

new top with glass

hey all! I wanted to touch base with you to ask about buying a top for my car. I posted recently within another heading (I was in a hurry, NY vacation). Anyway, I need information concerning buying a top with glass...the headliner that I have is good, I think, but the plastic is now separating from the vinyl (understood when I bought the car for a deal at $25K four years ago. So now is the time! I need a convertible top with glass for my 2001 Boxster, any ideas? Not exactly factory, mind you, that runs for $2500 and I plan on keeping the car. I'm looking for what works best WITH the glass, not the cheapo plastic
Thanks,
Bill

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #2

Forum members have had good results with both Robbins tops and GAHH tops, both have glass windows retrofitted for our cars.

Robbins tops are cheaper, but I am saving up for a GAHH top that will be purchased from the installer. By doing it this way, if the top goes wonky or the glass separates from the top a year from the install date, both the top AND the labor to fix it is covered by GAHH.

Look to the left to see GAHH's sponsor link. I'd call them and tell them you are a forum member and you heard forum members get a healthy discount.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #3

try a couple of searches, Bill. There was recently someone who picked up a newer frame , used, from a later box because you could then buy a later top with the larger glass rear window. I may be wrong but I believe it was 2003 or 2004 frame.
You may be able to get frame, top and all from a parter. Try Joe Cogbill at http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/
Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #4

I had the GAHH top put on my ex-Boxster S, it was a great top but I did have a few issues however GAHH stood bhind their product and made me a happy customer! If would do it again for sure.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #5

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Forum members have had good results with both Robbins tops and GAHH tops, both have glass windows retrofitted for our cars.

Robbins tops are cheaper, but I am saving up for a GAHH top that will be purchased from the installer. By doing it this way, if the top goes wonky or the glass separates from the top a year from the install date, both the top AND the labor to fix it is covered by GAHH.

Look to the left to see GAHH's sponsor link. I'd call them and tell them you are a forum member and you heard forum members get a healthy discount.
I will look into that, Randall, and thanks big time!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
try a couple of searches, Bill. There was recently someone who picked up a newer frame , used, from a later box because you could then buy a later top with the larger glass rear window. I may be wrong but I believe it was 2003 or 2004 frame.
You may be able to get frame, top and all from a parter. Try Joe Cogbill at http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/
As Randall, thnk you for your reply, it is sincerely appreciated!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #7

my main concern

is quality. I want to buy a top that will not show etchings and all that, which happens with these cars. Call me paranoid but still, this is an investment, are these people reputable?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #8

I recently had a Robbins glass top with original German canvas installed on my '02. It looks fantastic and I've no problem whatsoever so far, knock on wood. It cost me 750 for the top and 600 for the install. Not cheap, but a quality top and install.
My installer raved about Robbins quality.
brewer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #9

good deal, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer69
I recently had a Robbins glass top with original German canvas installed on my '02. It looks fantastic and I've no problem whatsoever so far, knock on wood. It cost me 750 for the top and 600 for the install. Not cheap, but a quality top and install.
My installer raved about Robbins quality.
Actually that does sound cheap in a sensible way, compared to other prices I've seen...hmm okay Robbins sounds good too, now about that pesky install charge, you said $600 which sounds like a good deal.

To all readers and responders, what do you think the average install time should be? I went to J&S Auto Body and they charge 99 bucks an hour...what is the likely time charge that I can expect? Thanks for all your help!
Bill
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #10

My Porsche tech told me that if I bought a Robbins top and gave it to him, he'd install it in 5 hours = $500.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My Porsche tech told me that if I bought a Robbins top and gave it to him, he'd install it in 5 hours = $500.
I charge $410.00 in New Jersey........
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #12

got a quote, made an appointment

I may have made a small mistake in doing this, (overcharge?) but I got a quote for a full install of the top with glass and defroster for a total of $1900. Yes, I know, it definitely is a few hundred more from this independent operator, Trim Line of Redondo Beach, CA, who were highly recommended by Pacific Porsche. I've always had a good experience with PP, so I stopped by Trim Line. As I walked into this small top shop, I first noticed the hand-written letters of praise that were scattered on top of the desk, under glass. The Daily Breeze, a local newspaper, also did a good write up on him. I also scrutinized a notice that stated in essence: don't ask for deals because we do meticulous work and we charge $55 an hour for labor. These were good indications to me because my previous hunt-around included Y&S Auto Body, down the road in Torrance, charges $99 an hour and told me a top would cost me $2500 plus labor. And they called me only once to tell me I had to wait ("hang on until we can find a glass top.") Not a good sign. I didn't go back. So basically, I didn't want to do the run-around thing and I was looking into a good solid install with quick turnaround. Trim Line ordered the parts today (Monday the 21st) and told me to bring the car in on Thursday, to be returned to me on Friday.
So, there's the situation and I think it will work out well. For what it was worth, I mentioned that I am an elementary school teacher in the course of our friendly jabbering so maybe that won me at least some type of deal (through use of subtle subversion, since I knew they didn't "make deals." *hehe*) Anyway, we'll see how it goes, and I will let you know on Friday about the results.
Thanks for all of your help! (Now, about AAA discounts....)

Last edited by teacher; 07-21-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #13

just got it back

I just got the car back and it looks good, we'll see how it plays out, because the top is very tight right now, and I was advised not to put the top down for at least 3 days, I'm thinking 7 days to be sure. But I like how it looks and well worth the price I paid. Hopefully there's no complications.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #14

Good luck. Please keep us informed. I'm looking to upgrade to a glass top.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #15

PLEASE read this: maintaining the new top

Okay, now that I have the new top (which is good except for the top not coming fully up; I have to pull it), but I expect this within the break-in stretch out period).
I know I've posted this at least one other time, but I am concerned about "markings" that occur as the top is up and down over time. My last top was in bad shape and the etchings did not look good at all! So, what can I do to keep this top looking new? I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to be an issue with Boxster owners, maybe because it's just the way it is or the like.
Any ideas on a good application to buy to minimize the fraying of the top (which occurs on the sides of the top) and leads to unsightly markings.

As always, thanks everyone! All info is VERY much appreciated!
Bill
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #16

I have read that a boxster top should never be lowered when wet. Ensure it's completely dry after rain or washing the car before lowering it.

Keeping it clean and using a water repellent such as raggtop is another.

Also, storing the car, even overnight, with the top up is recommended. Drop it whenever you want to enjoy the top down, but when it goes into the garage, put the top up.

These are the things I've read on this forum for a number of years now.

Since my top is old and worn and has a hole in it, I don't practice any of these things... but when I replace mine you can bet I'll do all of it.