986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sun Visors (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17756)

MinardiMan 08-01-2008 02:13 PM

Sun Visors

I've had my 2003 base Boxster now for a full month. What a great car! Drove into work this morning and it took over 2 hours for the grin to wear off.

The only part of the car I would want to change right now are the sun visors with the ugly yellow airbag warning. Is there a place to buy replacement visors (maybe the European version) without the warning sticker? What about leather covered?

RobZ 08-01-2008 02:20 PM

Here's A link for removal of visor stickers (#7.1). I agree that the airbag stickers ar ugly. I also agree (as a new '02 base owner) that it is hard to wipe the grin away after a drive.
:cheers:

fragdude 08-01-2008 02:31 PM

I just used some rubbing alcohol and a sponge (one that also has the scrubbing thing on the other side).

I poured a bit of alcohol on the sponge and lets it soak into the stickers. The bottom one was easy, you could move the sponge around to rub the alcohol in. But the sticker on the vanity mirror, when I moved the sponge it took bits of the sticker off which made it harder to peel off.

But yeah, once the alcohol has been on the sticker for a couple min, you can start peeling the side off and if your careful you can get the whole sticker off in one piece.

There will be a bit of discoloration up close. But its cheap and it looks pretty good

9eighty6 08-01-2008 04:05 PM

There is also the option of searching E-bay to find some vinyl stickers that will also cover them up. A cheap, quick-fix with so-so results but less elbow grease. Either way it's a great idea to either cover them up or remove them completely.

bmussatti 08-01-2008 04:19 PM

I took off those stickers the first day I brought my car home from the dealership.

E Kaplan 08-01-2008 04:27 PM

I did buy the vinyl stickers on ebay and they are great! They cover the airbag labels completely and take on the grain look of the visor. Also, they came with covers for the plastic piece which moves up to open the mirror. Makes the visor and all pieces look new. I think I paid less than $20. If you take your time, maybe a 15 min. job.

Eric K

releese78 08-01-2008 06:39 PM

Suncoast has euro replacements (the entire mirrors and covers). I bought mine there for around $20 each, they look great! www.e-partssales.com

LoveBunny 08-01-2008 10:08 PM

Yeah, I hate those stickers. I'd honestly never thought to try to remove them. What I noticed that is sort of stupid though is the image on the sticker shoes a car with a back seat. The stupid thing is stuck on a visor for a Boxster but there's a four-seated car in the diagram.

70Sixter 08-05-2008 12:40 PM

I used denatured alcohol on the Box. You have to be very careful not to let it get into the mirrors covers' hinges.

Some said isopropyl alcohol is safer and just as good. So when I did Mrs Sixter's X5, I tried the isopropyl. After the first one I went back to denatured for the passenger side, and it was much quicker.

The sponge was a technique I didn't think of. Paper towels probly don't work as well to saturate the sticker. Live 'n learn. :cheers:

FTD 08-05-2008 02:12 PM

great info! i hate that stuff and i'm happy to know I don't have to live with it. excellentay!

PWebRPH 08-06-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Kaplan
I did buy the vinyl stickers on ebay and they are great! They cover the airbag labels completely and take on the grain look of the visor. Also, they came with covers for the plastic piece which moves up to open the mirror. Makes the visor and all pieces look new. I think I paid less than $20. If you take your time, maybe a 15 min. job.

Eric K

+1
Stickers work great.

Ofishbein 08-06-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinardiMan
. . . What about leather covered?

I tried the goo-gone route and finally just got the euro replacements from Suncoast for $20 each (who really needs the crummy light on the mirror anyway?). Then I had the visors covered in alcantara when I did the rest of the interior. The pic doesn't show the visors that well, but you get the idea. I would think that leather would be OK too, except if it is too heavy, it could cause the visor to keep dropping down.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2mq3p6w.jpg

ekam 08-23-2008 08:07 PM

Ok I'm ready to do this.

The instruction states...

"You may find it easier if you take the sun visors off the car to work on them. This can be done with two different size torx drivers, a T20 and a T25. One torx screw is hidden beneath a plastic cap."

Where is this plastic cap? Is it towards the rear view mirror?