Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

1st Service Completed - 06' - 987

Just had my first ever Porsche dealer service. Car is a 2006 987 with 8,600 miles (summer car only). The "Service Reminder" message pops up on the message display when you approach the 2yr time interval regardless of mileage.

They took it easy on me; changed oil and filter, checked air and cabin filters (both were OK and not replaced), tire pressure and other basic stuff. Grand total $225. Not terrible and although cheaper options may have been available (thought about doing it myself) it's the first $ I spent on the car since new. Car has been flawless.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...rivewayic1.jpg
tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Not too bad. I needed more things done so I just serviced it myself and paid $200 or so. I don't have a dealer near me.

12 quarts M1 0w40 (2 extra Q) $75
Oil filter $15
Drain plug & new washer $5
Cabin filter $20
Air filter $25
Serpintine belt $30
Bosch wipers $30
Six pack of Michelob Ultra $6
Feeling manly because I had $75 worth of clothes ruined by grease and oil: Priceless (so much for saving money)

RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
bmussatti

I think this is outstanding. You have had the car about 2 years and drove 8,600 miles for an operating cost of $225 during that time period. That is about 2.5 cents per (s)mile.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think this is outstanding. You have had the car about 2 years and drove 8,600 miles for an operating cost of $225 during that time period. That is about 2.5 cents per (s)mile.

Very true. Especially after hearing about people who've spent thousands on repairs within the first year.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ
Very true. Especially after hearing about people who've spent thousands on repairs within the first year.
Well, most repairs that get posted about and cost $$$ are done out of warranty - the in-warranty repairs either go unreported and/or don't pinch as much because they are free. I don't know many owners who have had to spend thousands of dollars in repairwork in the 1st year of buying a new boxster!

Of course, had the OP driven 20k miles or so, he would've been looking at a set of tires if not more.

That said, ~$200 for 2 yrs of ownership is nothing to sneeze at. Good looking car too
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
That's not bad for maintenance and repair costs over the first two years.

This may sound like a stupid question, but does it in any way affect your warranty to have an independent shop do regular maintenance while the car is under warranty? I have a shop I'd rather go to than the dealer if I have a choice.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #7

That is not true that at 20k miles you need new tires. I had my first dealer service on a new 07 at 20k miles adn the bill was jus about $225, My next service is at 40k when the dealer siad I will probably need new tires. I think this priciing and service schedule is outstanding and one of the better features of the Porsche. Imaging buying a corvette and haveing to go back to a Chevy dealer every 5k miles?
Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!
kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavlono
That is not true that at 20k miles you need new tires. I had my first dealer service on a new 07 at 20k miles adn the bill was jus about $225, My next service is at 40k when the dealer siad I will probably need new tires. I think this priciing and service schedule is outstanding and one of the better features of the Porsche. Imaging buying a corvette and haveing to go back to a Chevy dealer every 5k miles?
Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!
Kavlono, you are one of the few people who has had a set last 40k miles. If you look around (there are threads on this and other boards on this topic), you will find that most rears go out around 20k miles -- the fronts do tend to last a bit longer.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
That's not bad for maintenance and repair costs over the first two years.

This may sound like a stupid question, but does it in any way affect your warranty to have an independent shop do regular maintenance while the car is under warranty? I have a shop I'd rather go to than the dealer if I have a choice.
LB, since laws vary by state, I can only tell you about CA -- you can take your car to any authorized mechanic for servicing. There is no requirement to go to the dealer, or even use factory parts (you are allowed to use OEM equivalents).

Also agree that a mere couple of hundred bucks ain't too bad for owing a porsche for a couple of years
Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #10

I'm at 20,600 on my '06. It is a Porsche Certified car and the first 20K maintenance was done as part of the certification process at 10,200, so it's not due any maintenance until 30k, or Oct. 2009, whichever comes first. I took it in at 20k becasue I just have a hard time with running any oil 20k miles and was almost insulted by the service department telling me I was foolish for not trusting Porsche service intervals. I said okay, Porsche is certifying this car to 100k miles so if they don't want me putting new Mobil1 and filters in it every 10k, so be it.
My Mazda gets oil every 5k (Mobil1 also - 6 qts.) and maintenece at 15k and 30k intervals. It feels "funny" with a Porsche you don't spend more money on than a Mazda......

Last edited by Quickurt; 08-02-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: bear paw typing
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #11

$225 for the the service is dirt cheap! I'm too lazy to check but I think the 20K runs closer to 4-500 at the illinois dealers....now if I get a lot of no ways, I'll go get the invoice and double check
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
$225 for the the service is dirt cheap! I'm too lazy to check but I think the 20K runs closer to 4-500 at the illinois dealers....now if I get a lot of no ways, I'll go get the invoice and double check

That sounds cheap to me too. I was under the impression that I'd have to have my car serviced after a year for around $500. Mine is a daily driver though.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
That sounds cheap to me too. I was under the impression that I'd have to have my car serviced after a year for around $500. Mine is a daily driver though.
That's what I've been told to expect for the standard 20k maintenance.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #14

This does sound cheap, and reading this post made me dig out the first service the previous owner of my 05S did at around 17k. The receipt states the 20k service performed = $465, plus cabin air filter ($82.39) and air filter insert ($46.74). Out the door with labor, taxes, etc. = $909.12 courtesy of Beverly Hills Porsche.
Sounds like you got a good deal.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWebRPH
This does sound cheap, and reading this post made me dig out the first service the previous owner of my 05S did at around 17k. The receipt states the 20k service performed = $465, plus cabin air filter ($82.39) and air filter insert ($46.74). Out the door with labor, taxes, etc. = $909.12 courtesy of Beverly Hills Porsche.
Sounds like you got a good deal.

The original post said " changed oil and filter, checked air and cabin filters (both were OK and not replaced), tire pressure and other basic stuff". The two filters cost (your figures) $130 +. Thats why yours probably cost so much. I do all my own maintenance so I see whats going on under the hood. Personally, I replaced the air filter with a K&N. I like the idea of oil impregnated cotton to trap dust & dirt than dry paper.

I read your post again and noticed where you have your car serviced, Beverly Hills Porsche! Hell, they'll probably send me a bill for just saying their name.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 08-03-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
The original post said " changed oil and filter, checked air and cabin filters (both were OK and not replaced), tire pressure and other basic stuff". The two filters cost (your figures) $130 +. Thats why yours probably cost so much. I do all my own maintenance so I see whats going on under the hood. Personally, I replaced the air filter with a K&N. I like the idea of oil impregnated cotton to trap dust & dirt than dry paper.

I read your post again and noticed where you have your car serviced, Beverly Hills Porsche! Hell, they'll probably send me a bill for just saying their name.
Dear sir,

As the above post has gratuitously violated both copywrite and trade mark rights of my aforementioned client, you will be pleased to remit $150.00 in infringement penalties, payable to said client, Beverly Hills Porsche, Inc., a California corporation. Failure to do so will relinquish any and all rights you may, or may not, assume to have in bringing your vehicle into their establishment for service.
Thank you,

Elmer R. Porcupine,
Attorney at Law
Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #17

I just had my 2 year service at a Porsche dealer for my 2006 Boxster S, at 5900 miles. It was interesting... for $380 they changed the oil and brake fluid, which is what they said was "required". Then, they "highly recommended" a "comprehensive inspection" for an additional $440. Many of the items on the 'inspection' list seemed bogus (checking operation of wipers, doors, lights, etc., things that are done as part of the state inspection anyway).

What was interesting was the reason the dealer gave me as to why I should do their "comprehensive inspection". They said if I have any major problems shortly after the warrany expires, such as IMS or RMS failure, if I have a history of having the dealership do these comprehensive inspections on a regular basis, they would feel like they knew the car and would be more inclined to argue on my behalf to Porsche to cover the cost of repairs.

So, basically, if I bribed them and paid them for a few largely unnecessary "inspections", they might put in a good word for me with Porsche if I have a problem later. Pay them now, or possibly pay Porsche later. I don't like paying bribes, and declined their "comprehensive inspection".
Nick-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
FTD

I was remarking with someone once about all of the things I had worked on while the car was under warranty, and also mentioned a few things I had taken care of myself, and he said he didn't care what the stealership charged because when the trumpet sounded and he needed them to stand tall on his behalf he felt like he had built a relationship and paid his insurance to have them cover his back. I think he is right on target, but I also think his financial situation or strategy is different than mine. I might do well to follow his sound guidance, but I can also sock away money that he is spending. Its a toss up.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
dj1

Here's my question. I've owned my car for one year, garaged it all winter, am out of town most weekdays, and I've put on 9,000 mi (no out of town trips). How do people manage to put so little mileage on their P cars? If I was home more often, it would have double the miles.
dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #20

My old buddy indy Porsche mechanic was the one who convinced me to buy a Porsche Certified car from my local dealer. In his opinion from extensive experience with customers from up and down the spectrum, there was just no substitute for being an "A" customer with your local dealer when it comes to high dollar German cars. Being an "A" customer means buying the car from them (the only way to have a certified Porsche, to begin with) and taking the car to them for every scheduled maintenance. You will have little or no argument about warranty work, especially if it's in conjunction with routine maintenance, and if you have one of those heaven forbids, the dealer will have no problem telling PCNA to step up and make things right. His opinion is also, even if you buy your tires from tirerack (so does your dealer anyway) take it to the dealer for mounting, balancing and alignment. The dealer will not have a leg to stand on if he damages your Porsche wheel in the process, either. I ended up eating an RX8 wheel and TPMS with my local save a buck tire company mounting my bought from tirerack tires. That one wack cost me about six sets of dealer mounts and balances, as I remember........