Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

TGPR Track Day Aug 14th....

We have reserved Talladega Gran Prix Raceway (TGPR) for Thursday, August 14th. This is a great track for novices and I would like to invite anyone in the GA, AL area to attend. The format will be Test and Tune with 3 cars on track and no aggressive passing. The event is limited to 15 drivers and we already have 6 committed including me. This means that there are 9 spaces left. Registration will be first come, first served so act quickly! I have a registration form that I can email to those who are interested. Please contact me directly via email. The cost is $130.00 and PayPal is preferred.

Click the video link below to take a couple of laps around the track with board member Insite. He also has a great video on YouTube of me passing him, and then nearly wiping out! Fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91uOX62sUJ0

I will be posting information on the Atlanta Porsche Owners Yahoo Group. If you are not a member, I would like to invite you to join. Being a member of this group will also help insure that you receive any updates on this event as well as invitations to future Atlanta area events! The web address is: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/atlantaporsche/

You can join by simply sending an email to: atlantaporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Thanks and I hope to see you at Talladega!
Byron

Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #2

Yo Bryon

Just curious. . .

Does your regular, say State Farm, auto insurance cover any damage if you put your car into wall or otherwise trash it? What if you put someone else into the wall?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
FTD

TGPR doesn't have walls.
Three cars on the track at a time is very safe. Even when Byron and Insite are running at the same time.
You probably already know you would have to talk to your insurance company regarding their position or offerings for tracking, and since this is not timed and there are other elements that separate it from being a race, the conversation would be similar to an AX situation.

This link has an aerial photo.
TGPR

Last edited by FTD; 07-25-2008 at 11:27 AM.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

Hey gregdacat....You would have to check with your insurance provider to see what your insurance will cover. Since so few cars are on the track at any one time and TGPR is relatively free of walls and other obstacles, I have always felt relatively safe. In fact, I would have to say in some respects you might be safer on a track with a group of car lovers whom you know to be sober, healthy and totally focused on driving their cars! That's a heck of a lot more than you get on the public highways! Seen anyone driving lately while on their cell phone?

Anyway....safety is relative I suppose. Last year I saw a car flip 3 times and land on its roof at an SCCA Autocross. I doubt he was going over 70mph. The guy walked away and was at the next autocross with the same car.

Oh yeah! We still have some slots left for the TGPR track day Aug 14th! Email me if you're interested! bpugh@prodigy.net
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #5

some insurance companies make a provision that says damage on a closed course during an UNTIMED event is covered. ALL of them exclude timed events on closed courses (racing, time trials, etc.). SOME are even going so far as to exclude damage caused during timed events like autocrosses.

that having been said, you can purchase DE insurance, but it usually covers you for a calendar year rather than per event. that having been said, TGPR was designed as a venue to safely train motorcycle racers. as such, FTD is right: no walls.

this is a GREAT track to learn at and much less stressful than a PCA DE because there are so few cars on track at one time. you can drive your own pace & focus on your lines without worrying about all of the cars in front of or behind you. it's also really cheap.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #6

We still have a couple of open slots!!!

If you are interested, please email me! Byron

bpugh@prodigy.net