Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

Question Hit Bump, power windows go down

Had a weird one happen today. As I was driving out to the beach, I drove over a small bump across the highway. It was an area that had some patchwork paving done at some point. It was a small bump nonetheless but whan I drove over it I heard a click and my windows went down the same distance as if I was putting the convertible top up or down. I tried to put the windows back up and they would not move. I could put them down but they would only go back up to that point and no further. I opened the handle on the convertible top and closed it back up and the windows worked fine. This happened to me once before about three years ago and today was only the second time it happened. Obviously it is extremely intermittent but I am just curious as to what would cause this to happen. Thanks again in advance for your replies.

Nick 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #2

Nick,
Very common problem. I have a piece of duct tape on the micro-switch to keep that from happening. If that works loose I pull the latch down and push the switch with my finger.
The micro switch part number for up to a '99 is 986.613.795.02. Model '00 up is 986.613.799.00. Pretty easy to replace. 987 part number could be different.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #3

Derb,
Thank You for the advice. If it happens again soon I will try the duct tape. I am heading to Halifax (approximately 2 hours from here) to see Elton John in a few weeks so I will stop by the Porsche dealer to get the part. Thanks Again!

Nick 986 is offline   Reply With Quote