Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #1

Question ABS Hydraulic control unit failure

My 99 Box just stopped last Friday. Took it in to P of Arlington (VA) where they replaced the alternator ($900). Over the weekend the traction control idiot light came on and would not go off. Took it in and am told that the ABS hydraulic control unit is gone and will need to be replaced at a cost of $3000. Was told that breaks down to roughly $2400 part/$600 labor. I'm concerned about a few things: can I still drive the car until this is repaired? Brakes still work, just no ABS? Do these costs quotes sound right? I think it's time to sell, but worried my sale value is going to tank with such expensive repairs pending. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Last edited by Don in DC; 07-30-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Don in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #2

First find out what the error code in the PST/PIWIS is that leads them to suspect the unit is bad. Since you had an electrical problem it could be related to that. There are fused links under the dash for the main circuits and the one to the ABS unit could have been blown due to the recent electrical problem.

If you need to replace the unit, I have a good used ABS with TC that was taken out of a car I did an engine conversion on that you can have for far less than the price of a new unit. Also the units can be rebuilt by different companies as similar Bosch units were used on BMW and Audi cars as well as others.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #3

Here's one from Oklahoma Foreign...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-ABS-control-unit-pump-assembly-OEM_W0QQitemZ270254126706QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116

List is 2508 according to the Renntech database.

That alternator replacement sounds kinda high.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #4

My advice to anyone posting about repairs here for the first few times: Find an independent shop. Dealerships are laughable for what they charge.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #5

Thanks

I picked the car up from the dealer yesterday. Told them I did not want them to replace the unit. Will consider my options, including the used unit here. I have a power bleeder, will that be enough to install the new unit and bleed the air out or will I need something else? Thanks for the information all, I really appreciate the time you take to respond.
Don in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #6

If you replace the abs/traction control unit then you need a PST2 when you bleed in order to get the air out. With a PST2 you can open the valves in the unit.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote