986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Value of boxster with blown motor?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718)

23109VC 07-29-2008 04:01 PM

Value of boxster with blown motor??

i'm considering buying my dad's car.

it is a 2000 base model with 73k.
18" wheels
M030 suspension
full leather
ocean blue / black leather
heated seats
cruise

He is going to sell it to me for 11000-12000. no sales tax as it is an inter family transfer in CA.

worst case scenario - I buy it. I drive it down the street and the motor blows up. I get a $14k-15k bill to fix it and decide to cut my losses and chalk it up as a lesson learned and sell it as is - blown motor.

how much will I get for it?

I"m trying to figure out - given the "great" deal I'm getting - how F***ing far in the hole I would be if I just dumped it in that condition???

not that I am in any way planning on this to happen - i'm just anticipating every scenario.

i can always just keep in the garage while I save up for the 3.4L swap if that happens... it's just that I might be saving for YEARS....

ChrisZang 07-29-2008 04:56 PM

I'd guess a "roller" in fairly decent shape will bring around $4k

insite 07-29-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I'd guess a "roller" in fairly decent shape will bring around $4k

they CAN be had for that low, but it's rare. you'd make a LOT more just selling it off for parts. $1,500 for the tranny, $800 for wheels & tires, $800 for brakes, etc.

fragdude 07-29-2008 10:27 PM

********************!!!! A roller can be found for that little? Serious?????

I should have just gotten a roller for and put a 3.6 in it. I spent around 24k on my car not including insurance and registration.

With a 3.6 liter engine installations running around 15k (I'm assuming, used 3.6s w/ low millage run at 9k), I could have spent almost 10k on a roller and had a more powerful car with possibly more options...damn!

Silly me!

Has anyone considered doing this?
:cheers:

p.s. Chris, how did you guy your exhaust? I've heard of some guy that used to delete all the chambers in the muffler for the stock look but better sound

Quickurt 07-30-2008 05:16 AM

IF I remember, and you can go back to the "There goes another one" thread from addictionracing.
I believe his was a '99 and he sold it to the shop he took it to for the engine repair (IMS!). HE got 6500.

23109VC 07-30-2008 05:47 AM

getting 6500 for a roller... not too bad.

i'm only goign to spend 11000-12000 on the car total. no sales tax. no interest.

in the UNLIKELY event i had a motor problem - and then decided NOT to fix it, and sold the car as a roller - i'd be out $4000-5000 max.

in reality though - i'd probably just do a 3.4 swap. it would cost approx $15k, and while I may have to wait a bit to round up the money - in the end, the car would be worth far more than the 11k I paid for it.

if they go for $35kish...then that's about what I would have put injto the car... so i'd still be okay just would have spent more than I had planned.

to me - 11-12k as the entry price for a very fun car is perfect. i can pay fro the tires, brakes, and other routine maintenance.... i just want a toy and want the most bang for the least buck. the deal i'm getting seems pretty good. :)

are most people doign 3.4L swaps getting new rebuilt motors from porsche, or buying used junker motors?