Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Garage
Side Skirt Install Help

I need some help with installation of a set of aero kit II's I got off of EBay. I got lucky and won the bid for a set that were already painted guards red. The guy told me that a customer ordered them and never picked them up. His loss was definitely my gain.

So one week and $212 later they're in my garage and now my problem, no mounting hardware. I called the local dealership and the "kit" will cost $163 plus the double stick tape. Does anyone have any other ideas? Do I need to purchase this kit or are there sheet metal screws that will work?

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
I need some help with installation of a set of aero kit II's I got off of EBay. I got lucky and won the bid for a set that were already painted guards red. The guy told me that a customer ordered them and never picked them up. His loss was definitely my gain.

So one week and $212 later they're in my garage and now my problem, no mounting hardware. I called the local dealership and the "kit" will cost $163 plus the double stick tape. Does anyone have any other ideas? Do I need to purchase this kit or are there sheet metal screws that will work?

Thanks for the help.
You could probably jury rig it by buying your own screws, but if I recall correctly, from seeing a friend's hardware kit, it also came with a bunch of clips too. I'd just buy the proper hardware kit, as even with that $163 purchase, you're still way ahead of what the normal cost would be to buy those skirts (about $700) plus getting a shop to paint them. You got a great buy! Good for you!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

The double stick tape is just 3m tape you buy at Autozone. Get the 1 inch stuff.

The clips can probably be ordered through Sunset in Oregon by themselves.

The way to put them on and ensure the skirts don't pull away from the painted part of the car just below the doors is to make sure they're screwed into the clips with enough overlap in the lowest part of the skirt and the clips. Don't try to line up the skirt to the edge of the lip that the clips sit on if it wants to go back further toward the center of the car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the responses, I was about to think that no one was going to give me any advise. I know it sounds like I'm being a cheapskate by getting one hell of a deal on the skirts and now I'm looking for an inexpensive way to install them. The thing is I've always wanted the skirts but couldn't afford to pay the original price so I reserved myself to the fact that I would never get a set. Then this deal fell into my lap. :dance:

The last ten minutes of the auction I honestly thought I would have a heart attack, my heart was beating so hard waiting for those final seconds to click off. Now all I need are a couple of screws, clips and some double stick 3M tape and the fatherland wants $160 for it. I just can't see paying that if I can help it.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #5

Maybe you should check with a body shop or an independent Porsche repair shop. My Gemballa side skirts came with these clips, so I don't think it's necessarily something exclusive to Porsche that you need to pay $$$ for. Same with the tape as you can source that elsewhere much cheaper. Personally I used an adhesive rather than tape for a tighter fit, although it is more permanent and not easily removable.

Kirk

1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote