986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leaky RMS on my newly aquired '02 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17706)

RobZ 07-28-2008 01:20 PM

Leaky RMS on my newly aquired '02

I took the car in for an inspection by our local indi shop. The mechanic told me that everything on the car was excellent including the clutch, brakes, etc. except for a $30 oil filler tube and a $30 seal. Of course the $30 seal is a RMS and the labor was quoted as $800-900 for a days work. He said not to change the clutch or flywheel in the process because they are in excellent shape. He also said it is a slow to medium leak and doesn't need immediate attention.

My question is, how many of you still drive around (and refilling oil of course) with a leaky RMS? An important note, there is never oil left under the car in my garage when the car is parked.

If I do have it changed, is there anything else I should have done at the same time?

tboyer 07-28-2008 01:42 PM

Huh, how would he know he clutch and flywheel are in excellent shape without pulling the transmission apart? What makes him believe the RMS is bad? Oil can leak from the fill tube, AOS, camshaft covers, plug tubes. Where is oil leaking from? I would answer that question first, get a second opinion.

Lil bastard 07-28-2008 01:58 PM

+1. He could not inspect the clutch visually without separating the tranny from the motor. He could check it by driving it and feeling for slippage.

The RMS leaks from the center of the motor where it mates with the tranny. If you raise the car (with all the safety precautions), you can check this yourself.

If you have no oil dripping on the ground, it isn't too bad and can be watched rather repaird right away.

But, first get it confirmed, and then start stashing away a little nest egg for when the time to fix it does come around.

RobZ 07-28-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboyer
Huh, how would he know he clutch and flywheel are in excellent shape without pulling the transmission apart?

It was only his observation based upon driving the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboyer
What makes him believe the RMS is bad? Oil can leak from the fill tube, AOS, camshaft covers, plug tubes. Where is oil leaking from? I would answer that question first, get a second opinion

I actually suspected it when I changed the oil last week. I didn't mention it but they confirmed it.

RobZ 07-28-2008 03:26 PM

When I picked up the car he dropped the estimated cost. $550 labor -15% PCA member discount and $30 for the seal. They also put the $80 inspection fee towards the labor so another $420 or so to replace the seal.

The tech seems to know Porsche pretty well. They were working on a couple of other Porsches. They were recommended by our local PCA forum.

They also quoted around $250 to install a Stebro (labor).

Adam 07-28-2008 03:41 PM

Don't worry about it until you need a new clutch. Then have a new RMS installed.

P.S. like the others said, if your tech didn't separate the trans from the engine how does he know the clutch and flywheel are in "great shape."

RobZ 07-28-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Don't worry about it until you need a new clutch. Then have a new RMS installed.

P.S. like the others said, if your tech didn't separate the trans from the engine how does he know the clutch and flywheel are in "great shape."

That's what I'm leaning towards. The mechanic said it's nothing to worry about but to keep an eye on it. He did mention that he would need to drop the transmission to know for sure (condition of clutch and flywheel). I think he was just trying to give his impression and some peace of mind.

I'll keep an eye on my oil levels and garage floor. That low quote is tempting though.

Adam 07-28-2008 04:09 PM

Oh I see. Yeah, most RMS seep on boxsters. I noticed mine seeps too, nothing to be alarmed about. Just have them change it during clutch time. If you get a few drips just lay something down. Alot of guys on here get nervous when their Porsche leaks oil. The old ones do it, the new ones do it to. It comes with ownership of the P-brand :) Mine started leaking then stopped. Go figure?

RobZ 07-28-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Oh I see. Yeah, most RMS seep on boxsters. I noticed mine seeps too, nothing to be alarmed about. Just have them change it during clutch time. If you get a few drips just lay something down. Alot of guys on here get nervous when their Porsche leaks oil. The old ones do it, the new ones do it to. It comes with ownership of the P-brand :) Mine started leaking then stopped. Go figure?

Great advice. Thanks. Seeping is a better way to describe what I've seen at the seal. No actual drips and no need to add oil over the past month (prior to changing oil). I'll put the money towards a Stebro :D . Thanks again!

Adam 07-28-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobZ
Great advice. Thanks. Seeping is a better way to describe what I've seen at the seal. No actual drips and no need to add oil over the past month (prior to changing oil). I'll put the money towards a Stebro :D . Thanks again!

No problem. Stebro, is a good choice. Are you thinking sport exhaust or race? I like the idea and sound of the race system, but it may be too much!? I'll probably go with their sport system.

RobZ 07-28-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

No problem. Stebro, is a good choice. Are you thinking sport exhaust or race? I like the idea and sound of the race system, but it may be too much!? I'll probably go with their sport system.

I'm going with the sport. The race may have too much drone for me. I may end up with a Zeintec top so I'd prefer not to wear earplugs :D

I've tryied to get the PSE mod done but I'm having a tough time finding a shop to do it.

Adam 07-28-2008 04:54 PM

Yeah, have heard the race has too much drone, but the sound is sweet under accel! lol.. The sport system has a nice tone and it's still more aggressive than many systems out there. The race system is exactly for that, guys that race their boxsters on a regular basis or take very short trips in them.