Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #1

Seat Issues, Ugly Rollbar

Hi,

I have a Porsche 986 and I think the following:

1) The rollbar is ugly.
2) The driver and passenger seats are way too high for me at 6'4".

I have the following questions:

1) What aftermarket rollbars are available for the 986 (links, pictures)?
2) What options do I have for modifying the existing rollbar (trim removal, paint, etc.)?
3) What seat options do I have that will provide easy, guaranteed lowering ($ not a factor)?
4) Where can I buy the lower center console delete kit that will allow for more leg splay (link)?

Last edited by odium; 06-07-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Title edit.
odium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #2

Was it like that when you bought the car?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #3

That's too funny...very cute. I remember when my kids were that little; now my oldest drives the Boxster!
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There are no aftermarket roll bars, and besides painting it a different color you can't do anything to it. Removing the foam would be very unsafe, so I wouldn't remove it.
The lower console delete is called a GT3 delete, do a search for more info.
To get a lower seat look for GT3 seats.

If you dislike the way the Boxster looks, and don't fit in it, Why did you buy one?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Wow! I totally disagree about the rollbar being ugly. Do you have the mesh wind screens and and the plexiglass wind restrictor on your boxster? Personally, I love how it all comes together. I've seen some people add an additional straight across rollbar above the existing one but that's usually just on track cars. Not too fond of that look.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #6

Without pictures I am not sure why you say you have an ugly rollbar. The rollbar is one of the distinctive looks about a Boxster. If it is just the color, then paint them, if not then I don't know what to tell you.

As far as being 6'4" and driving a Porsche, the two don't go together very well. Your only hope with the seats will be getting the GT seats but those are pretty pricey. I am 6'1" 205lbs and I find it cramped and I practically have to roll out of the car because it is so low. I can only imagine how much fun it is for you trying to get in and out, especially when the top is up.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Sometimes it's nice to be 5'8" Not only is it regulation dart board height but you can easily get out of your Boxster
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #8

The roll bar is subjective, I suppose. I actually like the looks of the individual rollbars, and prefer them without the windscreens in place.

I, like you, am 6'4" and the only problem I have with the rollbar is the back of my mellon hitting it from time to time. Unlike you, I am perfectly comfortable in the Boxster, both in seat height and legroom, so I have not researched replacement seats but I am certain that you can find what you need.

This is an area that I was very concerned with when shopping for the car. I've driven other Porsches that I had serious fit problems in, but the Boxster just fits me like a glove - it's actually much more comfortable for me to sit in than the Audi A4 it replaced. Just goes to show you how different two people of the same height can be in dimension.
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #9

Smile Hi my name is David, just wanted to see if you have seen this amazing product.

* Custom Designed Laser Etched with Multiple Colors: This option allows you to personalize your custom, laser etched Windrestrictor anyway you want. You can add any design you choose as long as they are approved by sending them to Sales@windrestrictor.com Multiple colors can be added to the design by a special process of color injection into the high quality laser etching. Some ideas that our other customers have came up with are (business logos, websites, college designs, sports team designs, car modification logos, names, nicknames and much more) Please use this space below to describe your custom request to us after you have clicked on the custom option. Please direct all questions to Sales@windrestrictor.com or give us a call at 972.487.5987.

From windrestrictor.com all froum membors get 10% off. Just as a reminder

Last edited by Windrestrictor; 06-29-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Windrestrictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #10

I have a bum right knee and it hits the center consule upright edge right under that kneecap. I wear a wrestler's elastic stocking type knee-pad under my pants. I got it to pad the knee, but discovered the elastic stocking it's mounted on is just a perfect support for the knee. Now I wear the damned things almost every day and have three because they do hold moisture and need to dry out more than one day.
There are many after market seats that will fit the boxster. Google it and take your time looking and measuring. Pepboys in Jacksonville has several crappy ones I don't suggest, but they are very valuable for seeing how you fit them and then measuring them to get a better idea what you like the best.
Recaro, Corbeau, APC, Sparco, etc.
Try this site; http://www.andysautosport.com/racing_seats.html

Believe it or not, I have a Butler Built fabricated aluminum pure racing seat that has the upper-grade upholstery kit and it is QUITE comfortable with unbelievable side support. Ugly as hell. If I ever decide to do track days, you can bet I'll fab some mounts to put it in the box.

Speaking of fabbing mounts, you may want to do that instead of mounting on the adjustment rack. It may work doing this with the stock seat, as it will lower it in the car. As long as you're the only driver, it may be the best solution.

Last edited by Quickurt; 06-29-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add some more info and fix bear-paw-itis
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #11

Are you sure the seat is all the way down? I'm 6'4" and I fit in the Boxster.

Here's what you do....
Move the seat forward as far as you can. Raise the back to vertical. Lower the seat. Slide it back. Recline the back.

The first few Boxsters I sat it had the seats up high and I didn't fit. I tried lowering them all the way, but I had already moved them all the way back. I still didn't fit. Then I read about doing the above procedure. I went back and sat in one I had already tried and I fit fine.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #12

That's interesting; not that my height is a problem, but I enjoy hearing of these nuances from time to time. I'll have to let my tall friend know, even though he seems comfortable in his Box S.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #13

It's funny. When I got my car I went through this routine and was moderately comfortable in the car. Yesterday my wife drove it. She moved the seat up longitudinally and vertically. When I got in, I went through the procedure again, and the seat went lower than I had it previously. I'm amazed at how much room there is in this car for tall people.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #14

I just ran across a center console delete... will see if I can find it.

Here it is: http://www.eagleday.com/interiortrim2.html

Last edited by stef; 07-30-2008 at 09:48 AM.
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
seems like you dislike all the cool stuff on the box man...i dunno, i tink u bought a wrong car

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote