986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   sewage like smell in car when driving any idea? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17692)

Stunin_Stud 07-26-2008 05:27 PM

sewage like smell in car when driving any idea?

I sometimes get a faint sewage like smell in the car. sometimes I think its coming from the outside environment but Im starting to think maybe its from the car. My car is not driven often could this be behind the reason or would it be some sort of leak? its not too bad and goes away after a while but just curious if anyone has had this and knows what it could be?

bmussatti 07-26-2008 06:20 PM

Is your AC working properly? Does the condesation from the AC properly drain to the outside of the car?

Are you missing a lunch bag? Dead mouse? :)

Stunin_Stud 07-26-2008 06:39 PM

I rarely use my AC but I see what you mean cuz this smell would be associated with it. how would I check the drainage?

I hope its not a mouse, cuz not only would it be a ******************** to find I would hate it if it chewed any wires.

thanx

blinkwatt 07-26-2008 07:28 PM

Dude check for mold from clogged drains.

Take the front/side battery cover off and inspect the entire area for a rodent.

Take the cabin filter out and smell it.

blue2000s 07-26-2008 07:55 PM

Try driving the car around without the ac on. See if you have the smell. If not, then turn the ac on and then check for the smell. If it only smells when you first turn on the ac, you have mold build up in the condenser or ducting. If this is the case, it's most likely not a drainage problem, moisture in the condenser can't be avoided. There are some products you can buy to spray into the vents, these might work, otherwise, you're looking at a disassembly and cleaning of the condenser and maybe some of teh ducting..

You can avoid this in the future by turning off the ac but leaving the fan on a couple of minutes before you turn off the car. This dries out the condenser to keep mold from growing.

boxs2000 07-26-2008 10:05 PM

If its a sulfur like smell or rotten eggs smell it may be your catalytic converter. Common symptom have it checked.

bmussatti 07-27-2008 03:59 AM

SS, I was joking about the dead mouse. FYI- rodent damage is covered by most insurance plans. Under Comprehensive Coverage...I think.

9eighty6 07-27-2008 04:30 AM

Do you have a wet/damp chamois inside the car? Had to wash the car away from home & used it but then left it in a plastic bag in the frunk overnight. I made this mistake once and wow did it ever stink. Just another idea for the list!

Adam 07-27-2008 05:53 AM

Is it only noticable when your significant other is with you? She might be releasing some SBD gas and not fessing up to it?

Quickurt 07-27-2008 07:41 AM

I occasionally have the same problem, but it only happens right after really fast turns......... :eek:

Topless 07-27-2008 05:24 PM

Clogged AC condensate drain, fouled cabin air filter, dead mouse (more common than you might think), or someone took a dump in your front trunk.