Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

How can I tell if I need new struts?

Hello,
I have a 2002 S with 51K miles. I am having HR springs installed at a cost of 900$ because of the 8+ hours of work involved.

I was wondering if I should also have the struts replaced? I think that they are fine, but I would like to avoid the 900$ cost in a few years as this can be done for no extra labor cost now.
What do you guys think?

Thanks,
James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #2

I have the same question. I have a 2002 with 48k. I've been told to change out the struts at only cost of parts. He quoted $400 for four Koni struts. I was thnking of Bilsteins ($750). Total for springs, Bilsteins, adjustable rear toe arms, and labor is around $2200 though. Seems steep for 1" of lowering.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

I'm at the same place... I have to have wheel bearings replaced up front, so why not go ahead and do the struts and save on labor costs.

Struts last 100k or so. So, both of you don't really need to replace them any time soon, but you both do need rear upper adjustable toe arms to correct the alignment issues associated with lowering springs or you'll be eating rear tires in 5k miles.

If you plan to keep your car at least another 50-100k, then replace the struts now. If you know you'll tire of the car and trade it in a year or two, then I would not spend the cash. Let the next guy do it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I'm at the same place... I have to have wheel bearings replaced up front, so why not go ahead and do the struts and save on labor costs.

Struts last 100k or so. So, both of you don't really need to replace them any time soon, but you both do need rear upper adjustable toe arms to correct the alignment issues associated with lowering springs or you'll be eating rear tires in 5k miles.

If you plan to keep your car at least another 50-100k, then replace the struts now. If you know you'll tire of the car and trade it in a year or two, then I would not spend the cash. Let the next guy do it.
Great advice. Adding new struts will not increase the resale value much if at all. I'll probably end up trading it in for a new GT3 RS soon (dreaming of course)

Anyone know if Koni makes Boxster struts? I can't find them online but the shop swears they are $105 each! If they do, what's the difference between them and the Bilsteins?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

I haven't seen a Koni application for the Boxter, but would be interested if you find some.

silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote