Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

Dealership Problems

History, Last summer '07
Brought my Boxster S 02, 58,000 miles into the Dealership in St Louis (Parktown Porsche, on Manchester Rd) with a complaint regarding a whining noise coming from behind.
I thought this must be a power steering issue. Dealership called me saying that the noise is coming from the Lower Left control arm. OK!!, taking their word for it, replaced the LLCA costing me a fair chunk of change. I drove the vehicle out of the shop and heard the same noise again. I pulled it back in and said the noise was still there and could they check the PS Pump. They said that the fluid was low and topped it up. Drove it for a little while and put it in storage for the winter. Spring comes Apr 08, and decide to take it out for a spin. Same noise started again and smoke was billowing from under the car and a strange smell, not the usual smell of oil but more of a pungent singeing smell. I brought the car back in to the shop. They call me saying that the power steering pump was shot and dripped PS fluid over the engine and tranny, also that the Spark Plug tubes were worn and the rear main seal was leaking. They replaced the PS pump. I had asked them if the rear main seal could wait along with the spark plug tubes and they said if the oil was not garage floor then I could wait a while longer.
A couple of weeks ago, I brought the car back into the dealership complaining that the PS Noise was still there. they checked and called me saying that the Lower Right control arm needs to be replaced. I was fuming.
I said to them that I have been chasing the same noise for a over a year and now they want to replace the LRCA as a fix. Ridicolous. The shop manager said he would talk to his Gen Man and get back to me. The GM calls me saying that he was going to ask me a couple of questions to get a better idea of what the problem was. He was going to behave like a private detective and get to the bottom of this. Long story made a little shorter, he said that looking through my history and taking the car out for a drive, that the noise was coming from the PS pump and that it probably had a little air in it and it did not settle. I was f***ing anoyed with the guy and he got annoyed back. He said they will fill it up and wait another day to see if it had settled. I drove it yesterday and the f***ing noise is still there. Anybody any advice on how to deal with this????

Steve

stephendoherty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #2

Luckily you live in a big city. It's time to move on and find an independent shop that can fix it.

A) There, it will probably cost significantly less.
B) If they're able to fix it, they'll be your official Porsche mechanic henceforth.
C) You can spread the word how Parktown Porsche failed you repeatedly.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #3

An indy whose been around boxsters will fix it right the first time (I hope).

BTW, replacing the lower control arms ain't a bad thing. The bushings are crap and they wear out very quickly and you probably needed one or two as recommended.

I'd just find an indy who will allow you to supply parts. I do this and it's a fraction of the price of a stealership.

You should register your complaint about this dealership on Twitter too.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote