986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boxstoberfest (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17543)

Bob O 07-14-2008 06:57 PM

Boxstoberfest

Well DARN.. my wife just informed me that she'll be in BOSTON, of all places, (last year she was in AUSTIN, which was a blessing) during our annual trek to Boxstoberfest. HOWEVER...I did get permission to go without her. Really???!!! No kidding. This could be very dangerous! Its about a 12-14 hr drive straight south from KC..but I wouldn't be opposed to making a detour if someone wants to meet up ahead of time and motor on down. So, if anyone wants to hook up to caravan or is otherwise without a car and wanting to go anyway, let me know. This event is a ton of fun and shouldn't be missed. If you haven't been to the Texas hill country, you need to go. http://www.boxstoberfest.com/

Bob

Jeph 07-14-2008 08:02 PM

Will you be passing through Dallas? Tim and I had a micro-caravan* last year departing from Dallas.

*just our 2 cars

Bob O 07-15-2008 01:41 AM

Sure.. Dallas is on the way. My plans are, or were, to stay in either Dallas or Austin Thurs night, relax and sight see on Friday and head to Fredericksburg Fri afternoon. Let me know when and where and I'll try to be there.

Bob

lucky_topher 07-15-2008 01:48 PM

well damn, that's my honeymoon and we'll be out of town... i'm in for 09 though LOL

Bob O 07-15-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_topher
well damn, that's my honeymoon and we'll be out of town... i'm in for 09 though LOL

awwww bring her along.. she'll have fun!!! :cheers: :D

Wingnut2u 08-08-2008 05:23 PM

Jeph, keep me posted in the microcaravan I might make it a threesome from Dallas

RobZ 08-08-2008 06:46 PM

I'll be going up (yes up :D ) from the south. Sounds like fun.

Jeph 08-09-2008 05:56 AM

Cool, I'll post some Dallas departure details as the event approaches. But I imagine we'll meet someplace near Downtown (near I-35) that Friday.

Wingnut2u, where in DFW are you?

Tim, you in on the caravan too?

Wingnut2u 08-09-2008 07:12 AM

Jeph

I am in the Addison/Plano area.

timothy 08-14-2008 01:52 PM

Count me in on the caravan! We already planned to drive down Friday after work. For a convenient meeting place my loft downtown has a ground level cafe where we can hang out until everyone arrives. There's also a small grocery store to stock up on last minute drinks and munchies. From there it's a quick hop onto I-35 south. http://urbanmarketdallas.com/

FrayAdjacent 08-14-2008 06:36 PM

I'll likely miss Boxstoberfest this year. I know.. it's so close... but having bought a house a few months ago, my play money is mostly gone. I will definitely plan on 09, tho!

timothy 09-02-2008 03:52 PM

Boxstoberfest is almost here. Let's finalize Caravan '08. So far we have Bob O, Jeph, and Timothy responding yes; Wingnut2u is a maybe. Anyone else coming? Come on people. Three cars is okay, four is good, but six would be a statement.

Fredericksburg is 4.5 hours from Dallas or shorter if Jeph drives point. While I'd like to get in most of a day at work and propose leaving at 6pm (ugh, the height of rush hour), I could be pursuaded to leave earlier if that's the concensus. Convenient-to-I35 meeting places include my loft downtown, West Village (McKinney @ Lemmon), or Jeph's place.

Bob O 09-02-2008 05:36 PM

I'd love to meet you guys in Dallas to make the rest of the trip from KC. BUT... by 6 pm I'll be sitting in the bar, errr restaurant, in FB. If you guys don't leave till 6, you won't get there till 10? The gathering starts at 6!!! you should really try to leave earlier if you can. My plans are to leave Thurs sometime and stay somewhere, probably Dallas area, Thurs night, and getting to FB by 2 or 3 on Fri. Check in to hotel, clean car and try to find Michael's house to see if he needs any help with final "stuff". I will truly miss caravaning from the Big D to FB, but I just can't see myself puttering around Dallas all day until 6 pm or so. Have fun guys. See you there!!

Bob

Wingnut2u 09-02-2008 08:54 PM

I should still be good to go but we just sold our office building and the new owner wants us out in a week, greedy bastard, I haven't even begun to start packing up my office and I am in the height of my busy season. But wtf, its Boxstoberfest, I can deal with the "little" stuff when I get back.

After reading Bob O's reply an earlier departure on Friday sounds like a good idea if everyone can get off work early enough.

Jeph 09-02-2008 09:17 PM

UG! I'm on the fence about going!
I don't have a hotel room yet, my GF can't go, I'm trying to aggressively pay off my car -aka, saving money, and I'm still concerned about my car's newfound twitchiness with its new tires.

Yet reading this post makes me want to go so bad. I'm TORN!

timothy 09-03-2008 06:50 AM

Wingnut2u, if you want to leave early I suggest you coordinate a departure time with Bob O. I'll let you know if I can make it but probably will have to say "see you there".

Wingnut2u 09-07-2008 11:55 AM

Well I just got back from Boxstoberfest and all I can say is that if you didn't make it, you missed out on a great time and some fantastic driving. "Spirited" driving is an understatement.

For those that I met, it was a pleasure meeting you and for those that didn't make it, hope to see you next year.

Jaxonalden 09-07-2008 03:44 PM

I hope you guys are going to post some pictures. Wish I could have made it but at least our club got together for a breakfast and good conversation. I really would like to see the good time I missed out on this year.

knurly 09-08-2008 12:34 PM

Red Group

Hey WingNut - glad to meet you at the 'Fest. Enjoyed the romp through the hills with the "Red Group". Sorry I couldn't stay for dinner Sat night.

How did your wife handle those 120mph sections? :D

-Dennis

Bob O 09-08-2008 02:32 PM

Wingnut, Timothy, and everyone else I met and talked to...THANKS! It was good to meet and talk again with all of you. I think everyone had a terrific time this weekend. I know I certainly did. For those of you who missed it...you really ought to get there next year. And for you red route guys...sounds like you had a blast. I'm sorta sorry I chickened out....nahhhhhhhhhh. With my base 01 I'm not sure I could have kept up anyway. Besides, the 118 I hit a couple of times wasn't that bad anyway.

A HUGE thanks to Michael. He and the crew did an outstanding job. Everything went like clockwork. This sort of event takes an unbelievable amount of planning and our hats are off to you guys for all the work you did to pull it off.

There have been pics posted here and elsewhere of the main event, but none of the gorgeous 356C that was parked outside the hangar bar after we got back. So...here's a few of that and some from the trip to the Benini Sculpture ranch. Now THAT was crazy. Out in the middle of nowhere is this incredible place, with hundreds of sculptures from artists all over the world and an art gallery, mostly of Mr Benini's work. Totally unexpected to say the least. It's well worth the mile or so of dirt road to get to it, and a couple more miles on the trails to view the sculptures. Anyway, here's a link to some pics. Hope to see you all again soon.

Bob

www.flickr.com/photos/rogopics