Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #1

Any experience with touch up paint and chips?

Winter has already claimed a small victory. Two 1/8 size dots on my hood just above the clear bra. I have touch up paint from the dealer but I think I might have the wrong color. The paint seems to dark for my Arctic Silver. Anyway does anyone have any experience with repairing chips in the paint?
(The carbon fiber look bra with fender guards is on the way)

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #2

Don't be cheap and just "dab" the stuff in with a match stick of some oversize brush. Do it right with a size "0" paint brush (found at your local arts and craft store, get the white hair brush) and put it on in layers.
I had a detailer try to tough up a rock chip and he just put a big blob in the chip(1mm) and it looked stupid. On my next chip (1.5mm size) I just took about an hour and layered in the paint with a size "0" paint brush. Put a layer on, wait for it to cure in the sun, then put the next layer and so on.... This will help you get the right texture and you can also add specs of different paint to get the right color matching.
Yes I know this is a long process but it looks great when you are done.

As for your car, Metalic silver is very tough to match, I would recommend getting some extra bottles of silver, grey, white, and metalic silver from a hoppy shop to see if you can mix in the righ combonation of colors to match yours, since I'm sure its been weathered by the sun.
I was lucky, my car is black

Last edited by tqtran; 12-07-2004 at 02:46 PM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #3

I have had good luck with the "paint pen" type of chip repair tool. Much easier and faster to use than the Posche touch up paint, and the color matched at least as well on my car.
I will say that I don't think I'm as meticulous about the outcome as tqtran is with the 0 brush and multiple layers, etc.
The pen I used is the "Auto Sharp Pen", web site at www.autosharppen.com.

Last edited by Ronzi; 12-10-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote