986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does your sun visor pivot? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16925)

tjgalati 05-28-2008 07:43 AM

Does your sun visor pivot?

I have a 2001 box and the visors only go up and down. Does anyone know if the newer boxes have a pivoting visor i can upgrade to?

Are there any aftermarket products?

SoCal has its drawbacks. ;-))))

TJ

cliffordtk 05-28-2008 09:53 AM

Visors do not pivot

The visors also do not pivot on my '08. Do not know if any aftermarket visors are available.

ChrisZang 05-28-2008 12:25 PM

I am sure there is somewhere a ($1,000) option from Porsche for pivoting visors :rolleyes:

Boxtaboy 05-28-2008 12:28 PM

Maybe they don't make them pivot in a cabriolet for safety reasons. ie. smacking you in the face when you're driving top down at 100+ mph. :D

TriGem2k 05-28-2008 01:00 PM

Your best bet is to check out a 996 Coupe. I doubt any of the Cab models have them...

RandallNeighbour 05-28-2008 01:09 PM

This has always been a griping nag of mine and frankly, I'm so put out with Porsche over this that I'm going to sell my boxster immediately.

Well, let me rethink that one and get back with you :chicken:

Sloan 05-28-2008 01:10 PM

Boxtaboy correct?

I had never given any thought to why this common and simple feature was not included, but am thinking that Boxtaboy might be right. Any other theories as to why we don't have this most basic option?

Boxtaboy 05-28-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloan
I had never given any thought to why this common and simple feature was not included, but am thinking that Boxtaboy might be right. Any other theories as to why we don't have this most basic option?

Of course I'm right! :D J/K. Well, there certainly would be a lot of unwanted litigation I'd think, if a sun visor smacked you in the face at speed and caused an accident. That's the only reason I can think of. It is annoying at times, but it's a convertible, so I remind myself that I'm supposed to like the sun. :)

Kirk 05-28-2008 02:36 PM

Agree... I've looked at this before and I'm pretty confident that the sun visors are fixed for a very good reason - to keep them in place with the top down. Although annoying, I think they're probably best left as-is.

rick3000 05-28-2008 04:36 PM

I am fairly certain that they are fixed to avoid any problems with putting the top up and down. If you try and put the top up with the visor tilted out your going to have problems, and the same thing with it hitting you in the face in strong wind.
I don't like them being fixed, but I can see why they made them that way.