Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys i need your help asap, so i sold my car and the guy i sold it to gave me a wire transfer for the money from his to my account on Friday of last week, and its still not in my account. how long does this usually take? this is a legit guy not some scam man, went to his office at the world bank and met his kids etc, but hes currently in japan and will be back this weekend. btw havent gave him the title

thanks guys for your help

Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

I would call your bank and specifically ask them how long it should take. It was a holiday weekend and things may be a bit slow.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #3

As long as you still have the title you should be o.k., Since it was a holiday weekend it should be a bit longer for the bank to process the transfer.
Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #4

How do you know he wire transferred it? Do you have some confirmation number or a printed receipt? Please tell me you did not give him the car and title before you had the money?

Did you do a title transfer? In most states that means he had to show a notary his driver's license. Get his address from the notary and be ready to sick the cops on him if the money does not appear in your account by Friday morning (that's 3 business days).

Don't cancel your car insurance until you have the money. If this is a scam (and I hope its not), then report it to the police - its theft by deception and fraud. Then take the police report to your insurance company and get some recompense.

Good luck
Alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
How do you know he wire transferred it? Do you have some confirmation number or a printed receipt? Please tell me you did not give him the car and title before you had the money?

Did you do a title transfer? In most states that means he had to show a notary his driver's license. Get his address from the notary and be ready to sick the cops on him if the money does not appear in your account by Friday morning (that's 3 business days).

Don't cancel your car insurance until you have the money. If this is a scam (and I hope its not), then report it to the police - its theft by deception and fraud. Then take the police report to your insurance company and get some recompense.

Good luck
Alan

i have the title, he sent a fax and i saw it, he confirmed it and sighed it.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
FTD

As long as you have the title, you are OK>
Once the money hits your account, move it to another account and keep amounts in the receiving account extremely low [so they can't remove the money]
Keep your For Sale listings active until the bucks are in.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

I used to do wire transfers all the time a few years ago. Unless it's changed, it's a surprisingly manual process. It can take a business day or two depending on the cut offs at the banks involved. I wouldn't worry about a 1 day delay. Any longer and I would call the bank.

Last edited by heyjae; 05-27-2008 at 05:01 PM.
heyjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #8

it takes about 2 business days from my previous experience but might be a little longer because of the holiday weekend.

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

So you have the title, who has the car?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #10

Its a long story, to make it short they havent started the transaction, i looked up his name and info and hes pretty important a the world bank, ex, hes got pics, and articles on google so im no TOOO worried
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
cartagena

Dude, you are so screwed!

haha....just kidding. I do wire transfers all the time so maybe I can help.

Was this an international wire transfer or a national one?

If it was national it should not take more than 24 hours and 48 at the most. So the money is probably lost by the bank. Just have him call his bank and trace it. If they lost it then they will find it as it is their responsibility not yours.

If it was an international one it usually takes 2-3 days. Once I saw it take 5 days with no explanation. With international transfers there is often an intermediary bank so that is why it takes longer, I think.

I once did a transfer and my bank manager put the wrong account number as the destination. So when the money did not arrive she just called the receiving bank and moved the money. It was no big deal.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
cartagena

I am pretty sure that once a wire is sent it is impossible for the sender to ask for it back assuming the correct person received it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
......so they can't remove the money....