Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #1

Desnorkle 2003 S

Relatively new to the forum and also new 986 owner. I've read as many posts about desnorkling as there are out there. There have been several questions about desnorkling 03 and newer boxsters, but no one ever responded, or either I could not find a response. I decided to give it a go. I went to the following link for help: http://porscheboy.5u.com/desnork.htm

Lets just say the side vent was pretty stubborn. After using both hands and my body weight it came free and luckily none of the tabs broke. I have attached the picture of what I found. It did not look like the snorkle in the porscheboy link.

I have attached a picture of my Boxster and one of air intake. Those with Porsche technical knowledge let me know what you think. It appears that the 03's and up have a different intake or either mine is different.

Thanks!

h20break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Great job! Did you notice any sound difference when at wide open throttle?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

You're looking at the snorkel right there. It just doesn't have the cup at the end.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
You're looking at the snorkel right there. It just doesn't have the cup at the end.
Thanks, that was what I was wondering. So, it should come out pretty easy? I wanted to make sure that was it before I tried to get it out.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #5

Garage
You know all this desnorkeling talk makes me wonder why people just don't pull the snorkel, then reach in with a marker and trace the outline of the intake against the airbox. Then remove the airbox, cut the marked section out, reinstall and now the intake hole is the same diameter as the intake duct. The duct is now your snorkel.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20break
Thanks, that was what I was wondering. So, it should come out pretty easy? I wanted to make sure that was it before I tried to get it out.

On my 2000S, I had to tug pretty hard, but it did come out.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #7

Hey h20,

Is this picture after you ripped out a black rubber lining with a mesh attached? As I posted in other threads, mine has a firmly attached rubber lining and mesh that will not come out easily even after the screw is removed.

Did you have to use a lot of force to remove this lining and mesh assembly? I did not do this because I was worried I might damage the set up.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjkim550
Hey h20,

Is this picture after you ripped out a black rubber lining with a mesh attached? As I posted in other threads, mine has a firmly attached rubber lining and mesh that will not come out easily even after the screw is removed.

Did you have to use a lot of force to remove this lining and mesh assembly? I did not do this because I was worried I might damage the set up.
This picture is after the mesh was removed. After removing the top screw mine came out pretty easy. There are two small studs on the bottom of the mesh screen that look like they help keep the bottom of the mesh screen secure and in place.

The snorkle itself took a little work. The easiest way to get it loose was to pull up on on it first. After it loosens just a little you can work it out.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
The snorkle itself took a little work. The easiest way to get it loose was to pull up on on it first. After it loosens just a little you can work it out.
Ok, so now that you've done the mod, how do you like the sound?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Ok, so now that you've done the mod, how do you like the sound?
I noticed a difference, but not a considerable one. It does sound better though and hey it was free. The car only gets driven about once a week and I have not had it that long, so I had not really become accustomed to the sound with the snorkle in.

I have also listened to too many Boxsters on youtube with modified exhausts so my ears were probably wanting more of a difference! I bet your Dansk sounds incredible.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
I noticed a difference, but not a considerable one. It does sound better though and hey it was free. The car only gets driven about once a week and I have not had it that long, so I had not really become accustomed to the sound with the snorkle in.

I have also listened to too many Boxsters on youtube with modified exhausts so my ears were probably wanting more of a difference! I bet your Dansk sounds incredible.
Well the Dansk is more tame than the GHL and Borla type mufflers, so I could use a little more rumble as well too, but coupled with the desnorked intake sound, it'll hold me over till I figure out my next mod. Glad you got your snork out successfully.