986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spare Tire Advice (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16900)

edevlin 05-24-2008 10:29 PM

Spare Tire Advice

I am planning a long trip out west with my wife in our 2000 Boxster in a couple of weeks and I am sure both trunks in the car will be filled to capacity. I have been planning all alont on taking my spare tire in the car, but just realized if I get a flat on the trip, with the rear boot full and a passanger in the car, I will have no place to put the flat tire if I have to use the spare. Does it make sense to take the spare tire along, I will sure be able to use the extra space in the front boot if I leave the spare behind.

Ed

:cheers:

70Sixter 05-25-2008 08:53 AM

Apparently most people call the auto club for flats these days. I would worry about that in the middle of death valley, not so much on an Interstate.

I've thought about how to carry the flat tire in your situation. I considered plastic sheeting over whatever is in the rear trunk and leaving the trunk open. But I've not measure to see if it can be done.

Either way I'm about to buy a tire cover. Griot's sells them in pairs. Gonna check TireRack to see if they sell singles.

JCL12 05-25-2008 01:50 PM

I always carry a can of fix-a-flat with me, even in cars that have spare tires. (my 01 has a tiny spare) I would advise you carry a can of that stuff or a compressor+can of goo. Although it won't fix massive holes or punctures on the side, it will handle most flats.

Jaxonalden 05-25-2008 03:26 PM

Ed,

Look at what the new Boxster's have in place of the spare tire, a 12v compressor and a plug kit. That's what I would suggest. You can pick up a plug kit anywhere and ether get a 12v compressor or a couple cans of Fix-A-Flat for air.
This is a link if you don't know how to plug a tire;

http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/tirepluguzi.htm

For peace of mind, check your tire's to make sure their in good enough shape to make the trip. Then give them a look over every time you stop for gas, bathroom or just to stretch your legs at those scenic overlooks. If the cars loaded, double check the tire pressure. You might also think about the time of day and time of week you travel. If you do have a flat that can't be repaired by a local (removed and patched) replacement might be another story. I have a S and finding the tire size I need (225/40-18 & 265/35-18) in the middle of nowhere would be a nightmare.
Like the past post said, if you did put on the spare tire where would you put the flat? I think if you follow the rule of 6 P's you should be fine. The 6 P's by the way is " Proper planning prevents piss poor performance". If you plan your route, have phone numbers of contacts along the way, have a plug kit and inspect your tires you will have fulfilled the 6 P's.

Have fun, wish I was going with you.

Boxtaboy 05-25-2008 03:40 PM

Again, as ToolPants pointed out for us before:
This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropriate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.

I would just keep the spare in your car. If you're really stuck in a remote area, you could always leave the full size wheel behind hidden somewhere, and come back for it after dropping your wife off someplace to wait while you go back and retrieve your wheel. There are times when even a fix-a-flat won't be of use.

blinkwatt 05-25-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.

What did they do to reinforce the front end of the 05'+.

Boxtaboy 05-25-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What did they do to reinforce the front end of the 05'+.

I can't find the documentation now (as I've packed away all of my Porsche brochures...I'm moving in 2 weeks), but here's something I think pointing to what I read. IIRC, they reinforced the pedal box area...

Read the last paragraph all the way at the bottom of this article:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2005-porsche-boxster-987-ar1019.html

RandallNeighbour 05-26-2008 06:29 AM

Had the same thoughts when my wife and I drove to CA from Texas. Keep the spare? Where to put the flat when the spare is changed?

A. I kept the spare, insuring it was inflated to 60 psi or whatever the requirement is. I hate the thought of being stranded in a Porsche in the middle of nowhere and at the mercy of a wrecker driver that thinks I'm a rich snob because I didn't buy a Mustang GT.

B. Take a couple of bungee cords and a bath towel along. In the unlikely event of a flat tire, one can put the spare on the car and then do the following:

1. Drop the top.
2. Remove the roll bar inserts and center windscreen.
3. Place the towel on the clamshell.
4. Put the rim on the towel.
5. Secure it to the car with the bungee cords.
5. Drive cautiously to a tire repair shop or to get the tire replaced (preferred).

Someone on the forum recommended this years ago and I still like the idea. I never had to try it thankfully, but it is a good way to get your wife AND your rim away from the roadside mess in which you find yourself.

I had thought of leaving my wife with the rim to go get help, but that didn't fly. And of course, I didn't even speak aloud the idea of leaving the wife and taking the rim in the passenger seat because, well, you can image the trouble that would create! :troll:

Lil bastard 05-26-2008 07:53 AM

One thing to check out beforehand is whether or not your Road Wheel will actually fit in the Front Boot or Trunk. This could be an issue with those running 19's, 20's, and possibly even 18's - especially if you're loaded with Luggage.

If not, keeping the spare would mean leaving the expensive Road Wheel at the Roadside or gracing the Passenger's lap.

In that case, it may be better to carry a padlock and chain (to secure the Road Wheel until you can retrieve it), or a can of Goop, or an emergency plug kit (considered an improper repair without an internal patch, emergency only), or just a good old AAA Card !

Also, be sure to compensate for the extra load with your tire pressures !

edevlin 05-26-2008 12:47 PM

1. Drop the top.
2. Remove the roll bar inserts and center windscreen.
3. Place the towel on the clamshell.
4. Put the rim on the towel.
5. Secure it to the car with the bungee cords.

I had not thought about that option, I could not figure where I would carry the flat tire with both boots full and a passenger along. This sounds like a good idea, I will try it out with one of the rear tires from the extra set I have and see how it works. If it seems OK, I think I will end up taking the spare even though it occupys valuable luggage space,

Ed

:cheers:

RandallNeighbour 12-23-2013 11:05 AM

Spare tire replacement... just the tire?

My spare tire will not hold 60 psi and it appears the PO drove on it with very little air in it due to the wear ring around the sidewall.

Anyone know if discount tire can order another tire that will fit the red donut rim?

BYprodriver 12-23-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 377947)
My spare tire will not hold 60 psi and it appears the PO drove on it with very little air in it due to the wear ring around the sidewall.

Anyone know if discount tire can order another tire that will fit the red donut rim?

Sounds like the sidewall integrity has been compromised making it unsafe.

Any tire dealer can order the tire, however finding a dealer willing to special order this no volume seller will be difficult. Might be best to buy from someone parting out a Box. Just insure the tire has not been exposed to sunlight as this is what ages rubber much like our skin. Call the tire manufacturer direct for advice if you want a new tire.

woodsman 12-23-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 377947)

OK, it's official-- Randal now has the most repaired Boxster EVER! Keep on fighting the good fight Randall! You inspire me.:D

BYprodriver 12-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 377960)
OK, it's official-- Randal now has the most repaired Boxster EVER! Keep on fighting the good fight Randall! You inspire me.:D

Reminds me of the military guys that shipped a Jeep to their home 1 part at a time & then reassembled it when the war was over.

Topless 12-23-2013 12:24 PM

I'll never use mine so I would sell it to you for $100 Randall. The shipping might be a deal breaker though so check with your local Box Spec build shops first. Lots of them around.

epapp 12-23-2013 12:47 PM

If youre going to take the spare with you, make sure it is properlly filled with air. I had no choice but to use mine and it was near flat. By the time I got to the tire place, the spare looked like the innerds of a zebra after a lion got to it

jcb986 12-23-2013 04:41 PM

WHAT...you mean there's a spare tire....WHERE.:confused:

Timco 12-23-2013 07:14 PM

I don't carry mine....

woodsman 12-24-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 378050)
I don't carry mine....

I do and it's checked for air pressure each spring- as an off-roader I follow the old adage" Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!"

Timco 12-24-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 378186)
I do and it's checked for air pressure each spring- as an off-roader I follow the old adage" Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!"

I'm a city guy. All pavement. On the off chance I'll have a flat (one in almost 30 years of driving) I'll call for help. I keep my tires 1/2 tread or better and carry a plug kit and fix a flat.