Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

Key Remote

My keyless remote just recently stopped working. I tried replacing the battery but no dice. Does anyone know where to get a replacement relatively cheap?
Thanks for any help.

arkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
pk2

not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkaplan
My keyless remote just recently stopped working. I tried replacing the battery but no dice. Does anyone know where to get a replacement relatively cheap?
Thanks for any help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

No not really.

You can find them on ebay cheap but unless it comes with the VIN # it's worthless. If you do find one that comes with the VIN # (usually go for $50 when they show up) you still need a friendly dealer to reprogram your security system on your car to accept the new VIN#s associated “secret code”... only available through Porsche.

I guess after everything is said and done, you could save a hundred bucks over dealer cost. But unfortunately you;re stiill looking at $150 or so.

Regards, Peter
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure what you mean by VIN, but the key needs to have a white tag with it. This tag has the code the dealer needs to program the key, so without it the key will be useless.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #4

Rick3000 is correct.
My remote stopped working last year. I bought a used key on e-bay real cheap. Called my dealer just this week to get it programed and he asked me if the key I bought had the 'White tag" on it. I replied, "Umm, No".
Long story short, new key from the dealer is about $150 and another $60 to have them program it to your car.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I am not sure what you mean by VIN, but the key needs to have a white tag with it. This tag has the code the dealer needs to program the key, so without it the key will be useless.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

VIN - Vehicle Identification Number. On your registration, dashboard and, etched on just about anything worth while on a Porsche.

I was told if you were an authorized dealer, the VIN would suffice as Porsche will have a record of whatever code was on whatever “white tag” came with that VIN/car.

BTW, who has a white tag on their key anyway? Not me. What if I lose my key?

Regards, Peter

Last edited by pk2; 05-24-2008 at 01:39 PM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

VIN - Vehicle Identification Number. On your registration, dashboard and, etched on just about anything worth while on a Porsche.

I was told if you were an authorized dealer, the VIN would suffice as Porsche will have a record of whatever code was on whatever “white tag” came with that VIN/car.

BTW, who has a white tag on their key anyway? Not me. What if I lose my key?

Regards, Peter
I'm assuming the white tag just comes with new keys. Once it's purcahsed and programed to your car the tag is removed.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I know what VIN means, I just though you where referring to the code on the white tag though as the VIN. You do need to VIN and proof of ownership to get them to program the key for you.
But to actually program the key you have to have the white tag, which like you said sucks because most people don't have them.

The white tag does come with new keys, but you might find someone with an old key that kept the tag. I know I would keep it, just incase!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
pk2

I see your point but, I swear I heard of someone with a PS2 doing it with a VIN and a bud at a dealership..

I had the security black box thing replaced in my car. This process would most likely be the same as a lost key, requireing programing the new box to recognize my key.. I had no white tag and the car was returned with my same old key.

So the only thing they had was my wasted security box, my car that wouldn't start , my key and, the VIN. So either they were able to extract the code from my tagless key (meaning white tag is not needed) or, the code was linked to my VIN deep in some official Porsche central clearinghouse.

I don't really don't know the truth about it, just using some logic. My guess is that your dealer would not tell you if they could just call in the VIN and get the code. Not when they can an sell you a $250 key.

Regards, PK
Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #9

Since you have the metal part of the key, you can order the pushbutton remote part and have the dealer swap out the metal key and program the remote.

Sunset Porsche in Beaverton Oregon has the remotes on sale for about $95. They usually sell most parts for cost plus 15% and might not have to pay sales tax since Oregon doesn't have sales tax.

When you get the remote, have your local dealer program it for you. Take all of your keys with you when you go to the dealer. Unfortunately it will probably cost more for the 1 hour of tech time at your local dealer than what the remote cost.

At least this way you know you are getting the correct remote for your money.

Good luck!
5-speed
Rear speaker system
Harman Kardon Ipod system
Durametric software
OBC Hack
Triple Black
De-snorkled
kurssat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
pk2

Your right, Suncoast is the place to go, onward my son.

But, for what it's worth, it is my understanding it is not the key/remote that is reprogrammed. It has a fixed signal or frequency. Its your cars security systems that are reprogrammed to accept your new key/remote signals.

PK

Last edited by pk2; 05-25-2008 at 12:52 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote