Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Lux

Question Time for a little Dynamat action. Need your input...

OK, so I've got 7K miles on my car and the thing is already developing some annoying rattles. Time for me to bust out some Dynamat. Yes, it'll add about 20lbs to the car but the rattles and buzzes make the car sound cheap and really detract from my enjoyment of the car. I can't even crank the radio to drown out the rattles anymore. So I have a few questions for everyone here...

1. I'm thinking that I'll Dynamat the doors and center console. Does anyone have a link on how to pull the door panels/where the mating pins are?

2. Where are your rattles? I'm thinking since I've got the Dynamat out, I might as well attack "potential" areas that might rattle in the future. Anybody have links on pulling the dash?

3. I'm getting a "clank" when my passenger window reaches the end of travel (both up and down). Does anyone know if this is an easy fix that I can do while I've got the door panel off?

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Wow, only 7K miles and you're sick of the rattling? My poorly-treated (before I owned it) Boxster has 60K, and I don't notice too many rattles. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive, but I'm surprised you can't even drown it out with the radio...I hope its not a bigger problem.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
Lux

Maybe rattle isn't the appropriate word. I'm getting various buzzes. For example, one of my door panels has a little bit of resonance. If I crank the radio, the panel just resonates to the bass of the music. When I put my hand on it to dampen the resonance the buzz goes away. This kind of stuff just drives me insane. I'm not looking for Lexus quiet but a little more dampening would go a long way. And when I swap my suspension over to Eibach/Bilstein it'll only get worse. I lived with it in my M3 but this time I'm gonna put a stop to it!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #4

When my new car buzzed - I took it to the dealer.
When I got it back it didn't buzz.

Why mess with it yourself when you have a warrantee and several close dealers?
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach
When my new car buzzed - I took it to the dealer.
When I got it back it didn't buzz.

Why mess with it yourself when you have a warrantee and several close dealers?
There's a few reasons why I'd rather do it myself.

1. Every one of my cars has developed some kind of buzz. Every time I've taken it to the dealer I'll get answers from "we don't hear anything" to "your music has too much bass" to "they all do that". The too much bass thing is the funniest. I always ask "are my speakers overloading or distorting?" The answer is always "no". Then I'll ask "then how can it be too much bass?" This is usually followed by nonsensical mutter from the service advisor.

2. The most they can do is use those little felt pads. They sometimes work, sometimes don't. Felt pads = ok. Dynamat = the mother of all dampening materials. Regardless, most of the time the mechanics will mess something else up while taking apart the panels/dash (not overlapping panels back correctly, not putting screw covers back, etc.). And when there are various rattles all over the place, they'll only do one or two and I'll end up doing 4 or 5 visits which equal lots of hours lost for mediocre returns.

3. It's fun to do things yourself. You can take the time to do it to your standards, not some mechanic that's trying to pump out the work under "book hours" standards.

Granted, my experiences above are from BMW and Infiniti dealers on my previous cars. I'm guessing I'll get similiar results from the 3 Porsche dealers around here though.

Last edited by Lux; 11-22-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #6

Link for door panel removal...

http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/
UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
Lux

UKBXSTR,

Awesome. Thanks!